CoinPeople.com

Pidcock's Tiger Condor Token

hiho

I have collected Pidcock’s (London, England) Conder tokens for almost 5 years and anyone who had ever dabbled with this series knows that you almost never see the tiger. As seen here:

tiger-1.jpg

tiger-2.jpg

This elusive design only appears on the reverse of two Pidcock’s tokens, the DH418 and the DH436, with an elephant and a rhino on each obverse. Both tokens are listed as common yet I have never seen one offered for sale. If you have one that you are sick of looking at please let me know.

If you want the tiger on the obverse you have five choices, the DH441 and 441a (two-headed cow on the reverse) the DH442 and 442a (ostrich reverse) and the DH443 (eagle with rays reverse). Two are RR (if you ever find one you can’t afford it), and two are RRR (you will never see one if you live to be a hundred). Which leaves the DH442 as the only affordable option.

Which I finally found and won in a recent Stack’s auction. Ex Jerry Bobbe Collection. A very sharp strike with fantastic details. With an old collector number painted on the obverse which I think gives it character and stays. And I finally got the tiger.

The tiger. :)

What a lucky guy you are, not only such a rare beauty but that ostrich has copy/reducing lines around it. I drool :drool:

I would do the same as you and leave the collection # on it, it is part of the tokens history & adds character & charm to the piece. Not that it needed anymore!!!

What a lucky guy you are, not only such a rare beauty but that ostrich has copy/reducing lines around it. I drool :drool:

I would do the same as you and leave the collection # on it, it is part of the tokens history & adds character & charm to the piece. Not that it needed anymore!!!

So those are copy/reducing lines, here I thought they were from an old fingerprint. The things I learn from you Pat!

Also, I misspelled Conder. Only seems to happen when I post while enjoying an alcoholic beverage. :yes:

I wish you would stop posting items such as this tiger. I have enough things to collect as it is. I do not need to collect anything else, yet your posts get my blood running. Beautiful piece and the collector number adds a degree of character. Congratulations on an excellent addition to your collection.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...