CoinPeople.com

5 kopeks 1795 EM - variant

sigistenz

my5kop1795em.jpg

rittig5kop1795em.jpg

On the lower picture see my latest acquisition :crazy: The top crown looks repaired, the eagle has biceps, "M" of mintmark and orb crush the scroll.

It looks as if a worn down die had to be mended. Probably because there was no replacement die on hand.

Sigi

is that normal one an overdate?

Yes Josh, a clear 1795/4 - these are seen pretty often and are not worth mentioning. My point was the other coin with its strange averse.

Sigi

I cannot imaging they would keep such a die or the master responsible for fixing it alive for long... Anything comes to my mind when I look at it: master had too much to drink a day before... he was told that he was made redundant and that was his payback... repaired dies used by counterfeiters? Interesting find.

I cannot imaging they would keep such a die or the master responsible for fixing it alive for long... Anything comes to my mind when I look at it: master had too much to drink a day before... he was told that he was made redundant and that was his payback... repaired dies used by counterfeiters? Interesting find.

The same principle as the old saying "never buy a car that was built on a friday" :bunny: