CoinPeople.com

Feast Your Eyes On This Beauty.

P1000055-Copy-horz_zpsf2e4bde7.jpg

P1000052-Copy-horz_zps37923acb.jpg

Pictures from my visit to The Musuem of Fine Art Boston in December.

The jewelled and classically draped bust of George IV was modeled after an 1822 marble bust by Francis Chantrey who also designed independently for Rundell, Bridge & Rundell who produced this piece. The Gothic pedestal may be tentatively associated with either A. C. Pugin (1762-1832) or his son A. W. N. Pugin (1812-1852), who were supplying Gothic furnishings for Windsor Castle from 1826; the younger Pugin also worked for Rundell's. Gilt bronze mounted with enamel, gold, diamonds, emeralds & rubies.

The gold medal(set in the rear, picture 4) by Benedetto Pistrucci is dated 19 July 1821, and commemorates the coronation of George IV and is 35mm which gives some idea of the size of this piece!!!.

Inscribed: "TO SIR HENRY HALFORD BART/ THIS BUST OF HIS LATE MAJESTY KING GEORGE IV/ IS PRESENTED/ BY THEIR ROYAL HIGHNESSES THE DUKES OF CUMBERLAND AND CAMBRIDGE/ THE PRINCESSES AUGUSTA THE LANDGRAVINE OF HESSE HOMBURG/ THE DUCHESS OF GLOUCESTER AND THE PRINCESS SOPHIA/ AS A TOKEN OF THEIR ESTEEM AND REGARD/ AND IN TESTIMONY OF THE HIGH SENSE THEY ENTERTAIN OF HIS PROFESSIONAL ABILITY/ AND UNWEARIED ATTENTION DURING THE ILLNESS OF THEIR LATE BELOVED SISTER/ THE PRINCESS AMELIA OF HER LATE MAJESTY QUEEN CHARLOTTE, AND HIS LATE/ MAJESTY KING GEORGE III HIS ROYAL HIGHNESS THE LATE DUKE OF YORK/ AND LASTLY OF HIS LATE MAJESTY KING GEORGE IV/ MDCCCXXX" and with royal monograms, engraved on the plinth.

I maintain similar displays for all my gold medals.

(That should provide one clue to the number of gold medals in my collection.)