CoinPeople.com

Statues at Westminster Abbey -- who? info?

Art1.2

Can anyone tell me who this statue represents and any other information about it. It's at Westminster Abbey.

8347515601_86d3603df0_c.jpg

london 1989 35.jpg by UGotaHaveArt, on Flickr

That, good sir, is Oliver Cromwell outside the Houses of Parliament in Westminster. It was created in 1897 by Hamo Thornycroft and erected in 1899. It has been the subject of many debates as what he stood for still divides many people today, with some calling for it to be melted down and others for it to be moved. Either way, it's a lovely work of art and I'm glad you got to see it in person.

Thanks Clive. I figured someone would know the details. That photograph is from 1989 and I'm pretty sure that I recorded the info about the statue at the time but my notes connecting to these images are long lost.

How's about this one. I'm thinking it was John the Baptist, but not sure.

8350631990_cf7286b8d6_c.jpg

london 1989 36.jpg by UGotaHaveArt, on Flickr

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with this one. I presume this is on a façade of Westminster Abbey rather than Parliament?

How's about this one. I'm thinking it was John the Baptist, but not sure.

8350631990_cf7286b8d6_c.jpg

london 1989 36.jpg by UGotaHaveArt, on Flickr

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with this one. I presume this is on a façade of Westminster Abbey rather than Parliament?

It's been a long time but I believe it was on the Abbey.

It's been a long time but I believe it was on the Abbey.

I think it's one of these two on the façade of the north transept, but I'm not sure of whom they are. Apologies, Art.

Art-1_zps4a46c308.jpg

That's them Clive. Not sure either. In the big picture of life it does not matter. Just curious.

Thank you for all the help and as a bonus here's a view of the Tower Bridge that you might have missed.

8359203223_17979a46b4_c.jpg

london 1989 87.jpg by UGotaHaveArt, on Flickr

Not a problem, Art.

I hope we'll get to see all of these photos soon!

Thanks Clive. I'll be posting some in various places and some in my blog here and maybe my other blog. Many will be on my flickr account as well. Thanks for taking the time to look and your kind comments.

Does anyone recognize this building?

8368312643_5915186c05_c.jpg

london 1989 179.jpg by UGotaHaveArt, on Flickr

But I'm enjoying the challenge!

Thanks - more to come. Some not so easy as these have been.

Pretty bad picture but a very interesting design. All I know if that the conductor on the bus told me it was some sort of "Public Housing".

Any ideas?

8373932356_52a94566e4_c.jpg

london 1989 223.jpg by UGotaHaveArt, on Flickr

It looks a lot like Alexandra Road housing estate, commonly known as Rowley Way. It's right next to Abbey Road if that helps you place it on your travels.

Thanks guys. I think it's getting time to rename this thread or start another. Things to id are not only sculptures. Must be the right place as I recall it was quite near Abbey Road.

She is the 'Queen of Time' riding in her 'Ship of Commerce' an art deco clock above Selfridges main entrance Oxford st by Gilbert Bayes . Her supporters are mermaids holding phases of the moon controlling the tides, and of course the Queen of Time and Tides waits for no man. The clock behind supports an Elizabethan ship, recalling the early days of the exploration that would lead to the industrial revolution, trade and commerce, globalisation and the rise of shopping as the principal hobby of most of the western world

Harry Selfridge, the American founder, wanted retailing to be seen as a more noble pursuit than simply buying and selling for profit, and even wrote a book called 'The Romance of Commerce'.