CoinPeople.com

1796 Denga Novodel (?)

extant4cell

Your opinion on this coin please. I compared it to two known novodels, very close, but not 100%, including the edge (I didn't see novodels with reeded edge). Unfortunately, I am not an expert in novodels, so would welcome your input. Here is the picture:

aR29mg8Z3SPyA6pkeKp5f2YdDZz74s.jpg

Tough call. Stylistically it looks fine...though it doesn't match exactly examples from sales such as Fuchs or Brand IV. However there are a number of different versions of this Novodel (and some just outright weak fakes) If it's Edge-1 (is that what you mean by reeded?) then that may not be a problem. Edge looks a little coarse. Brekke says those edges were hand cut...so maybe.

I don't see the obverse scratches on other examples and that's bothersome. Overall, the feel is OK (to me) but it would have to be fairly cheap to compensate for these questions. Sales history would help.

I *might* take the risk with spare money but not make a big investment. And then again I might not.

My 2c

Yes, that's what I meant by reeded edge (sort of chopped on a side :) ) ... I didn't know there were Novodel Denga's of this year with this edge around. I couldn't find reference to this type of edge. But just managed to find one: http://www.m-dv.ru/m...ges-prohod.html How much would you risk on this one? What would you find to be reasonable amount. Mind that seller sells it as Novodel.

I ment that in relations to this coin. I have Uzdenikov 2004. New Type Denga 1796: 1) Coin 2934, Novodel, edge: rope. 2) Coin 2935, edge: reeded (ribbed). But no mentioning of Novodel (2934) with reeded edge and I could find only one going through the auctions that looks like it's edge is reeded. Uzdenikov does not speak of different edges as type 1, 2 etc. He speaks of lets say rope edge as having type 1 or 2 (depending on the angle), etc. That's why I got confused with your mentioning of the Type of Edge a bit. He does list it in his additional notes first in the list of edges, but not as a type 1...

How much would you risk on this one? What would you find to be a reasonable amount?

Wait a minute, it may be a rope! It doesn't say in the description, I only have the pictures to go by... I see what you see... What does it look to you? My first impression was ||||||, but rope may look like this as well, when you don't see the edge.... I feel a bit of a fool now... :swoon: Ok, let's make it a proper roped Novodel. What do you think it will be worth?

Wait a minute, it may be a rope! It doesn't say in the description, I only have the pictures to go by... I see what you see... What does it look to you? My first impression was ||||||, but rope may look like this as well, when you don't see the edge.... I feel a bit of a fool now... :swoon: Ok, let's make it a proper roped Novodel. What do you think it will be worth?

There are actually two kinds of roped edges (numbering of the edge types is standard):

#1 = ////////////////

#6 = \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Regardless of which side of the coin is up, the orientation of these marks stays the same (perhaps hard to believe unless you try it).

Then there is the reeded edge:

#3 = |||||||||||||||

And then there is the net-like edge:

#5 = xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Also, there are other kinds of edges, some of which were used only for certain types.

Every Russian numismatic reference I have seen lists these edges along with illustrations, so maybe you need to buy a book? ;)

The official novodels were struck in small numbers with special care.

Why then the 4 cuts in the die?

And could there have occured weak areas of the surrounding pearls ?? :shock:

Sigi

The official novodels were struck in small numbers with special care.

Why then the 4 cuts in the die?

And could there have occured weak areas of the surrounding pearls ?? :shock:

Sigi

That is what strikes me... I can not understand why these scratches have appeared on the die. And they are very similar, look like from some kind of a metal clip or tongs.

:drinks:

:woot_jump:

The party goes on! ;) This year we had friends over and I only slept for 2 hours. Babies wake up too early for the New Year day.....