CoinPeople.com

2013 Numismatic Goals

Art1.2

Have you established any goals for your collecting for 2013 that you'd like to share with us. As for me, I have not yet even thought about my collection for the coming year.

I've been thinking about this now, so here are some preliminary goals for me.

1) pare down my collection -- to start I think I'm going to get rid of all my moderns

2) reduce the numismatic literature that I have -- specifically I have a lot of old runs of "The Numismatist" and such

3) get rid of enough stuff to drop one safety-deposit box (or at least go to a smaller size).

4) Update my IHC and Large Cent collections

5) Add at least two 1/2 cents to my collection

Art , like you I am paring down the collection, or better yet accumilation. I have way too much stuff i never even look at, and was shocked I had when I went thru everything recently.

I am seriously thinking of selling my complete CC Morgan Dollar coins at FUN in January.

I would really like to finish my 20 cent set in XF or better, not including the 1876-CC

Of course add to the never ending US Type set in my Dansco 7070

I will think of others...

Nice to have you back posting Art & I like the hat :art:

Have not set any goals as yet, will probably just muddle on as per usual & see what turns up.

Thanks. It is good to be "back".

Art , like you I am paring down the collection, or better yet accumilation. I have way too much stuff i never even look at, and was shocked I had when I went thru everything recently.

I am seriously thinking of selling my complete CC Morgan Dollar coins at FUN in January.

I would really like to finish my 20 cent set in XF or better, not including the 1876-CC

Of course add to the never ending US Type set in my Dansco 7070

I will think of others...

The CC Morgans should go easily at FUN. Best of luck with it. I think I'll go the ebay route on my moderns.

Nice to have you back posting Art & I like the hat :art:

Have not set any goals as yet, will probably just muddle on as per usual & see what turns up.

Welcome back Art and yes, that is a very nice hat.

I intend to muddle on as well and see what turns up that I find interesting.

Might pare down the collection a bit as well to make room in the safety deposit box.

I think some of my goals are as follows:

1) Get rid of duplicates in my collection - they don't earn interest so why should I keep holding onto them especially if they are low value?

2) Target some of the hideous holes in my Soviet coin collection. Some of the key dates are starting to hit several hundreds :wallbash:

3) Target a few more holes in the Manchukuo collection - this is also another tough one

4) Keep on updating omnicoin - I estimate to be at least 500+ coins behind in photographing :wallbash:

5) Process all those photos that I have and make them into digital albums.

6) Keep a log of what I have and stop buying doubles!!! This can be plain stupid at times.

7) Always keep an eye on random coins - they could be upgrade what I have and sell my poorer grade coins. :)

8) Probably update my website???

Just too many things to do but time poor :(

Just bought myself a used DSLR camera and macro lens so that is first on my list

#1 get a good lighting setup and learn to take some amazing pictures.

#2 focus on getting fewer, but higher end pieces from all the areas I collect.

#3 cut down on all my accumulated modern stuff that I haven't been working very hard at selling

#4 sell off my old date collections that I haven't been actively working at upgrading or completing: Canadian large cents, small cents, silver 5 cents and nickels.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

1. Find 100 Wheat pennies in circulation (I'm close)
  2. Find my first Buffalo in a roll
  3. Find my first Mercury in a roll
  4. Organize my foreign coins

Nice goals. You're going to have to be either very lucky or search many many rolls. Best of luck with it. Let us know about what you find -- I love being jealous

You and me both Art, I love to envy, helps me find what I need to search for

I completely agree! Sometimes when I've got nothing better to do I read blogs about people who have found massive hoards of old coins, etc.

Good luck ski

Nice goals. You're going to have to be either very lucky or search many many rolls. Best of luck with it. Let us know about what you find -- I love being jealous

Thanks very much, and best of luck to you both! :bthumbsup:

• 2 months later...

1. Find 100 Wheat pennies in circulation (I'm close)
  2. Find my first Buffalo in a roll
  3. Find my first Mercury in a roll
  4. Organize my foreign coins

1. Done! Just found Wheatie #103

2. Not yet

2. Not yet

4. I think that's pretty much done

So I'm well on schedule! Maybe I should set some new goals? How's everyone else doing with their goals?

I have accomplished nothing relative to my goals. Ditto for my photography goals. Oh well! There's always next year.

:bthumbsup::bthumbsup: Congrats ...ski you're doing quite well vs. your goals. Keep up the good work.