CoinPeople.com

Collecting 18th Century Russian Overstrikes

extant4cell

This is my effort in collecting 18th Century Russian overstrikes so far.

Series 1: 73 Years of Evolution of 5 Kopecks Cross Coin (1723 - 1796) [around 20.48 gram]

From 5 Kopecks Cross coin of Peter the Grate, Catherine I, and Peter II

1015887.jpg

to a 3 year type 1 Kopeck "Baroque" (in the Clouds) of Elisabeth

1014480.jpg

and to 2 Kopecks with St.George of Elisabeth

1015865.jpg

1014225.jpg

1014482.jpg

to one year type 4 Kopecks "Armature" of Peter III (I am missing this type in visible overstrike from 2 Kopecks)

1014227.jpg

and to 2 Kopecks with St. George of Catherine II

1014270.jpg

1014266.jpg

to 1796 4 Kopecks of Paul I (supposedly prepared for invasion and quickly recoined back to old Catherine II 2 Kopecks coins by Paul I once the plans were abandoned). 4 Kopecks of Paul I are missing (super rare and super expensive).

4 Kopecks of Paul I recoined back into Catherine II 2 Kopecks coins by Paul I (missing). The one I had in this place deemed not to be Paul's restrike. Discussion of that coin is below.

Series 2: 38 Years of Evolution of 5 Kopecks of Elisabeth (1758 - 1796) [around 51.19 gram]

From 5 Kopecks of Elisabeth

1014492.jpg

to Peter III "Armature" 10 Kopecks

1015494.jpg

to 5 Kopecks of Catherine II

1015690.jpg

1015294.jpg

to 1796 10 Kopecks of Paul I (supposedly prepared for invasion and quickly recoined back to old Catherine II coins by Paul I once the plans were abandoned). 10 Kopecks of Paul I are missing (super rare and expensive).

10 Kopecks of Paul I recoined back into Catherine II 5 Kopecks coins by Paul I

1014274.jpg

1014275.jpg

That's all so far...

Have a Happy and Fruitful New 2013 Year!

...3 year type.

...term for it is "Baroque"...

Thank you for noting that. I didn't do a literature cross referencing when I put this together in a rush late last night while watching "Braking Bad", just relied on my not all that good memory at that time. I've made changes now, to have it right. ;)

Very interesting. That's a neat form of collecting.

Thank you!

nice presentation!

Thank you! This is my first effort to put my overstrikes in some meaningful order :yes:

By the way... dont overlook Polushka of Anna overstruck on Kopeck of Peter II, and Denga of Anna overstruck on Kopek of Peter I !

Also, Peter III 2 Kopek overstruck on kopek of Elizabeth! Good hunting!

Thank you for these points. I'll give them a go in the future. So far I concentrated mostly on larger (more visually impressive) coins in my collecting. :)

Here's my attempt with overstruck coins.

http://gxseries.com/..._overstruck.htm

Your attempt, is kind of what inspired me to put them all in order. I have looked through your projects when I joined here (including your ovestuck coins one), and it was sitting at the back of my mind since then. :yes: I just wanted to add some more of really good (visually) overstrike representatives to the coins I already had before putting this presentation together. This was my last addition (yet to be received):

1015690.jpg

and I got a little too excited about this, so I couldn't wait anymore and put it all up... Thank you for sharing your projects with us, they can be inspiring as you can see. :yes:

Here's my attempt with overstruck coins.

http://gxseries.com/..._overstruck.htm

Nicely presented information. Thanks for sharing it.

I wish I could get my hands on this one:

• post-27872-0-11622100-1356718984_thumb.jpg
  • post-27872-0-33543000-1356718989_thumb.jpg
  • post-27872-0-35260300-1356718992_thumb.jpg

Someone was asking to evaluate this coin on a Russian forum. Unfortunately it's out of my reach in Russia. I am missing this type (overstrike from 2k to 4k). It's an ugly overstrike thought. If anyone sees one like this for sale anywhere, let me know. ;)

4 Kopecks of Paul I recoined back into Catherine II 2 Kopecks coins by Paul I

1014513.jpg

Could you post better pictures of this one, please? I am not sure about the date and the mint.

I wish you a happy new year with -of course- many, many coinzzzzz. Sigi :yes:

Could you post better pictures of this one, please? I am not sure about the date and the mint.

As I pointed out to Eugene earlier, the letters should be to the sides of the horse not under the horse. Interestingly M that I can see here looks a lot like M on that altered TM coin.

http://omnicoin.com/coin/1014513 the description reads: 1788 2 Kopeks MM Edge Inscription Paul I recoining... This coin is from my old collection, and is still packed away after we moved. I hope go get these coins out early this year when I have time. i'll make better pictures then and will examine it again.

As I pointed out to Eugene earlier, the letters should be to the sides of the horse not under the horse. Interestingly M that I can see here looks a lot like M on that altered TM coin.

Is it good or bad for this coin? TM-s are very rare as you know and I would be interested to learn how significant this information to this coin...

Happy New Year to ALL!!! :)

Eugene, if the date is 1788 (I can't tell from the pictures) it cannot be MM. The 1788MM 2 kopeks had the MMs placed at the sides of the horse. As a mint mark I recognize only the 2nd letter, which is an M under the horse. In 1788 only the 1788TM 2 kopeks had the M under the horse. Paul's recoinage yielded 2 kopeks with 1793EM and no other 2 Kopek dates. If your coin is dated 1788, it is not a Paulian reoverstrike.

Your coin deserves being presented here with good pictures when you have the time.

Thank you, regards, Sigi

The coin description and the pictures were taken by me from the original eBay listing some 4-5 years ago. When I get around it I will retake the picture myself. Sigi, I was planning to do this this year anyway, but may actually start with this coin. I played with the bits of the pictures a little and that's a result:

the description stated that it was MM 1788, but on the picture the year is not very clear and I see your points re: TM/MM and must agree that it's not MM. To say 100% that it is TM I can not, simply because, although, the first letter looks too similar to T, it's a lot wider than M, so they don't exactly match.

Alex and all, if you can point to the direction of the coin discussion that Alex mentioned I'd appreciate that. Cheers!