CoinPeople.com

Help required determining rarity/value

gared007

Sorry - I missed your original post somehow. Please post a detailed photo of both sides. That might help someone with expertise in that area to id and value the item for you.

It is BHM#2077 in AR(silver) RR(for very rare) in AE(bronze) N.(for normal number struck) the medal is dated, in Latin, January 17 1842. The Prince posed several times for the engraver Stothard. The obverse legend was inspired by the inscription on a medallet found on the site of the old Exchange bearing the title ANGLIAE REGINA UBIQUE HONORATA, presumed to have been struck to record Queen Elizabeth Ist's patronage of the original building.

It is a medal, which would normaly be posted in Exonumia(the reason I took so long to respond as I don't check this section very often) they were issued for sale to the general public. BHM stands for British Historical Medals by Brown, his rarity scale is RRRR. RRR. RR. R. N. C. CC. he does not give exact numbers, these are seldom known anyway.

A previous post, http://www.coinpeople.com/index.php?/topic/23998-laying-of-the-first-stone-of-the-new-royal-exchange/

Thank you very much for your help. I apologise for my severe lack of knowledge in the area of coins/medals however. As such, could you explain the rarity scale again? I don't understand "in AR(silver) RR(for very rare) in AE(bronze) N.(for normal number struck)". How can is be RR and N on the scale and silver and bronze?

Any given medal can be struck in a number of metals, consider a particular medal struck in gold, silver & bronze, if there was only 5 gold examples struck that would be rated as RRRR.(the highest rarity) 20 struck in silver RRR.(extremely rare) but 100 struck in bronze N.(normal rarity). Each metal that a medal is struck in will have its own rarity rating. I hope that is clear, if not let me know.