CoinPeople.com

Paul I Copper Coinage

nicholasz219

Does anyone in the forum have a specialty in Paul I copper coinage? I am working on a set of Polushkas, Dengas, 1 and 2 Kopeks in F-XF. I have noticed that most of the Polushkas and Dengas after 1798 are tough as well as all KM and some AM mints in decent grades without super inflated prices.

Any advice?

My 1799EM polushka is one of the rarest coins in my collection :yes: . That was bought years ago, before they started digging up rotten examples out of the ground in Russia (and they seem to be finding everything these days).

Yes, Paul copper is a very difficult series for such a few short years. There are rare variants that I don't have (eg denga-sized cipher on a polushka).

There are rare variants I don't have (eg Denga-sized cipher on a polushka).

:bgreen:

To add to what steve said: even KM coins (less 2 kop) are very difficult in decent condition. There are a lot of dugup rotten ones in russia, but I am still looking for most of them in decent gdarde. Also, am polushkas and dengas in good condition are also superhard. Narrow cypher (1797 am 2 kop) got a bit easier, but there is one sypher variant of that coin that is impossible to find. 1799 em 1/4 did not become easier in good condition. As for a rotten coin -- it would still be a lot of $ to purchase.

1799 em 1/2 is very hard in good condition. 1800 and 1801 em minors are becoming extremely hard, but not as impossible as they used to be. Other than that -- everything is pretty easy. :bgreen:

1798 and 1797 1/4 in vf are cheap and easy. It is hard not to find them on ebay in 1 month. In AU they are hard, but still not very expensive -- $150 or so each...

1797 no mm is harder. But, also is not too hard. Although, when I say that, I mean it in comparrison to other harder P1 coins. In comparisson to N2, everything is hard. :crazy:

Well, I am encouraged. I don't think that my coins are nearly as nice as Steve's or BKB's for example, but I am happy collecting the series. It does seem to attract a lot of dug up examples and I think that its unfortunate that so many are just in a nearly completely ruined condition. Then you have things such as this, where I do not know what to think of it, much less bid on it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Imperial-Russia-2-Kopeiki-1797-Paul-I-Very-RARE-coins-Original-coins-/330842787198?pt=US_World_Coins&hash=item4d07c44d7e

I can not even be certain it is genuine, because it looks so modern and too strongly struck? Maybe I am just being paranoid. I can always use more advice on how to detect counterfeits or replicas, especially with Russia where everything seems to be either dug up from the ground or out of a counterfeiter's pocket.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item4d07c44d7e

I can not even be certain it is genuine, because it looks so modern and too strongly struck? Maybe I am just being paranoid. I can always use more advice on how to detect counterfeits or replicas, especially with Russia where everything seems to be either dug up from the ground or out of a counterfeiter's pocket.

This seller has been all over ebay lately with many fakes both copper and silver. Rarely they are listed as "copy" or "can not be sure if genuine", but mostly no description. The coin you link to is fake. I would never buy ANYTHING from this seller. I have already reported several of his coins, but unless ebay gets multiple electronic reports on a listing or seller, they take NO action.

Hi thanks for showing. Actually many examples do show the overdate. The foot of the old 9 to the lower left of the first zero is often seen. What yours shows, which I haven't seen clearly before, is a trace of the old 7 to the upper left of the new eight. Nice!

Steve