CoinPeople.com

1764 5 Kopeck MM mint re-coined from 1762 10 kopeck!

extant4cell

My new find 1764 5 Kopeck MM mint re-coined from 1762 10 kopeck.

Found in Italy! Are the over-strikes of this mint common? They probably are...

1015294.jpg

;) I think I am starting to catch Sigi's 5 kopeck fever... In Sigi's collection there is a much better example.

Well, I'm excited, anyway!

I have a hard time with the overstrikes, partly because my eyes are bad, and partly because I do not have another person who is an expert on Russian coins near to help me see the markers which help identify the underlying host coin.

Is there a good reference for this, book wise? How about a reputable collection online that would help with overstrikes. The only one I currently own is a 1731 polushka which appears to be overstruck over a kopeck of Peter I because in the right field of the obverse (side with date and wreath) there are two parallel lines which fit the pattern of the Peter I cross copper kopeck series.

Anybody see what I am seeing? (I apologize for the poor picture quality. I only have a iPhone camera and I took about ten shots to get a picture with even some clear detail.)

http://www.omnicoin.com/coin/1015295

nicholasz219

Hi Nicholas, Looking at your picture I feel that I have a bad eye-side. But how, may I ask your question relates to the topic? If that's not too much trouble, would you mind please to move it to a new topic? I think if you open a topic called "Russian Over-strikes - share and help!" there will be a lot of interest and contributions... Cheers!

My new find 1764 5 Kopeck MM mint re-coined from 1762 10 kopeck.

Found in Italy! Are the over-strikes of this mint common? They probably are...

1015294.jpg

;) I think I am starting to catch Sigi's 5 kopeck fever... In Sigi's collection there is a much better example.

Well, I'm excited, anyway!

Hi Eugene, take warning - it may become an addiction :crazy:

Some dates of the MM 5 kopecks are easy, like 1764, others are difficult to impossible.

There are many variants, Yusupov lists 10 variants for 1764MM alone, each valued $10/VF (will send PM).

Take care, Sigi

-