CoinPeople.com

Louis XVI Medal by Mossop

Hey everyone

New to the group and new to the hobby but have been able to learn a few things here and there thanks to the internet. One coin I recently acquired was a 1795 Louis XVI mourning medal. It was a copy done by William Mossop and it was an exact copy of a more well known medal done by Ferdinand Loos. This medal is in tin, or "white metal" as one source described it. The coin itself is not in the best condition, probably in the G or AG range. I am more of a collector of US and foreign coins, so medals and other exonumia are not up my alley so to speak. One question I would have is how rare is this coin? It seems like I have found more descriptions of it online than photos. Also, how valuable would this be if in better condition?

Most ascribe this 1793 medal to William Mainwaring, the British Museum covers itself by saying designed by Mossop engraved by Mainwaring? but then say it was an exact copy of Loos' medal(which it is) so there would be no need of another designer! So I think you can safely go just with Mainwaring not Mossop. http://maxentius.lam..._Mainwaring.htm

http://www.omnicoin....viewcoin/934713

As to value I could only find this sold included in a lot of 3 medals for $70 Australian by Nobles in 2011 ;

Lot 2793

FRENCH REVOLUTION, The Last Interview, 1793, obv. busts of Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette, in white metal (38mm) by W. Mainwaring (Hennin 464); Execution of Louis XVI, 1793, in white metal (32mm), by W. Mainwaring (Hennin 472); Death of Marie Antoinette, 1793, in white metal (33mm), by W. Mainwaring (Hennin 538). The first with carbon spot on obverse, otherwise good very fine. (3)

Hey there

That particular Mainwaring medal referenced (Hennin 472) is actually a different medal. I recall reading some old numismatist journals that reference the particular medal I have as Mossop... while most of his medals would be signed with his full last name, there are at least a couple of medals attributed to Mossop that have as their subjects French Revolution relatd themes and are signed "WM". (http://books.google.com/books?id=7-8SJCqtsEwC&pg=PA90&lpg=PA90&dq=mossop+medal+louis+xvi&source=bl&ots=hI1P_trGg3&sig=xJ4SmYYnZSEAmmtcudHeFh2T7es&hl=en&sa=X&ei=-0e9UPStEIqTyQH8uoFQ&ved=0CDYQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=mossop%20medal%20louis%20xvi&f=false)

Attached are the images. As you can see, it is in rough shape but I got it for a really good price. For reference, this is what the original Loos coin would have looked like: http://www.acsearch.info/ext_image.html?id=139225

Anyway, this is what I have... the sources I saw were rather old and I have no trouble at all with this being a Mainwaring medal.

medal1.JPG

medal2.JPG

Your medal looks to me to be exactly the same as this, which is Hennin 472 by Mainwaring and the Loos medal that it is a copy of is below it for comparison. Or am I missing something?

MorteLuigiXVI_472.jpg

934713.jpg

MAINWARING'S LOUIS XVI 1793, copying Loos medal below which is either Henin 469,470 or 47i, all just minor variants of the same medal..

12507.jpg

lol I was thinking the medal you were referring to was the medal in which there was the guillotine scene on the back of it thanks this is definitely an outlyer in my collection but an awesome addition nonetheless

I am more of a collector of US and foreign coins, so medals and other exonumia are not up my alley so to speak.

And so was I until coming to coin people and reading the exonumia section. Now I'm "eyes wide open". I am grateful to the board experts such as constanius for their input and expertise that fuels the hobby.

• 2 weeks later...