CoinPeople.com

1793 5 kopecks

extant4cell

Is that what happened? That's a shame! I'd brake it out of the box!!! :)

Yes Alex, Sigi, Squirrel and GX, I agree with all of you. That's what I am planning to do once I’ll get it. It would also be a shame keeping this coin in a slab with such a silly description...

It was a sheer luck that I’ve checked the enlarged pictures of this coin to find what it really was when I was going through the list of the auctions. On a small picture, the eagle looked much nicer than on usual EMs, looked a bit like KM to me, so I went for a closer look to find this... I guess if it has a roped edge it would be a nice bonus ;) but considering that EM letters are large (I think, can someone confirm please?) it is an unlikely chance. That would triple it's price in one go though, and it would make it an original Siberian KM or Crimean TM, but I doubt that even though I am hoping for a surprise....

These 10 kop 1796 are very rare, even as overstrikes, as they never went into circulation as far as I know. I’ve read somewhere that they were possibly getting them ready for invasion (to use on invaded land in a different country, like India or something...) and once the plan was abandoned they re-stroke them back to backdated 5 kopeks to evade suspicions.

I’m glad you liked this coin! ;)

Sigi, I just looked through your collection. Thank you for sharing! You have an impressive collection of large 5 kopeks. I just fell in love with 1766EM (oversize), 1770EM (beautiful date), 1784KM, 1791EM, not to mention your Siberian collection and a 4 kopeks 1762!!! VERY NICE! I wish I could touch and hold them... :drool:

Sigi and all, can you tell me, in your opinion the coin I got has small of large EM? I tried, but couldn't figure it out. Somehow they look about the same in here:

This in netted: http://www.numismat.ru/cgi-bin2/cat_view.cgi?id=2081

and this is roped: http://www.numismat.ru/cgi-bin2/cat_view.cgi?id=2082

But they both have their EMs about the same size, which looks small to me...

those plastic coin coffins are annoying.. I like to touch and smell my coins!

crack 'er open! Set it free!

Very true. I'd undress the beauty rightaway.

:yes: Sigi

-

I wouldn't say this particular coin is rare - have seen a few of them floating around and if you try hard, there should be reasaonble samples in VF condition for under 200 dollars. 1793 EM 2 kopek is another story - now that's challenging. The big "EM" font should be very obvious from memory and I'm certain this is not one of them.

but considering that EM letters are large (I think, can someone confirm please?) it is an unlikely chance.

These 10 kop 1796 are very rare, even as overstrikes, as they never went into circulation as far as I know. I’ve read somewhere that they were possibly getting them ready for invasion (to use on invaded land in a different country, like India or something...) and once the plan was abandoned they re-stroke them back to backdated 5 kopeks to evade suspicions.

Yes, this is the large EM, so chances are dim to discover a rope edge - though with Russian coins you never know.

As to the host 10kopek: Paper money had been introduced in 1769. It was backed only by copper coins, i.e. only redeemable into copper. Excessive printing of paper money led to inflation, more and more obvious from 1786 on. As a consequence, copper money, too, lost in value against the metal it was made of and became more and more scarce in circulation. Count Zubov convinced Catherine II in 1796 to double the face value of the copper coins, which was executed later that year, by overstriking existing coins. This came to a halt with the new Tsar Paul, who had reoverstrike the overstrikes into their former value. As most of the reoverstrikes were pretty ugly, for which Catherine was to blame, the reoverstrikes were done with still existing old Catherine dies or (as in your case) new dies, but with earlier (Catherine's) dates and monogram.

I'm happy at your feedback, thank you :banana:

Some of my coins are not pictured anywhere (as my worn 10kop1773KM large crown/small mintmark, listed and priced in Brekke, Bitkin, etc., but always without picture) or a 10kop1777KM with the earlier (up to 1776) monogram side, an unlisted variant :crazy:

My 4kop1762 is no longer part of the collection. If interested, send PM.

Sigi

somehow i missed this auction :read:

generally speaking, looking at this coin and its EAGLE - there is immediate reaction that it is overstrike; secondary, nice traces of undercoin are very much visiable; i dont get the point, when you said that you saw traces of overstiking then you figured out what it is

I was looking for KM on eBay, but I didn't specify "KM" in search. In eBay, like in many auctions, the search result shows small pictures only, where the details are not visible, just like in the preview in my original post, hence my comment. I enlarged the pictures and found the traces of previous coin. You can not see them in the preview picture.

Sigi, thank you for the info. ;)

i dont want to repeat but this specific eagle stands for the 1796 overstriking - this goes first, then its traces more or less visiable; according you, first you see the traces, then, because of traces you consider that it is overstrike :buba:

I think it all happened sort of at the same time, all at once! :bunnyshock::blol::bgreen: within the space of a nano-second! I believe that this was the sequence though.... as funny as it may be, I didn't think, my mind simply reacted to the picture my eye sent to my brain... B)