CoinPeople.com

5kop1760 difficult in decent grade

sigistenz

In the early years the large 5 kopek coins were still crudely struck. Many if not most were overstruck into Peter III's 10kopeks in 1762. The surviving piataks circulated 50 years and more. It is thus very difficult to find a nicely struck specimen in a decent grade. I proudly present my recent acquisition :yes:

Ain't she sweet ...

Sigi

5kop1760--new.jpg

Very nice.

So many of the copper of this whole era comes weakly struck with different metal flaws. Then a long circulation made a lot of them look very worn, and many became corroded. Only from the first years of 1770s and onwards it becomes easier to find nice specimens. Much easier, in fact.

Your coin is almost not worn, only very moderately circulated, well struck and has a nice and light colour, too.

very nice one Sigi, is the one you had before for sale now?

Thinking of ebaying my old one :yes:

If interested, send PM with offer.

Thank you, Sigi

not bad, not bad at all :bthumbsup: . I only collect the MM series, but do not have any in this condition...

The MMs are even cruder. See my lousy pieces in the link below. There was an unbelievably nice 1760MM abt. 2 years ago in the Bakken collection, sold by Gorny, Munich, Germany.

I went there for that coin, but also to meet Tom Bakken. We had a couple of Bavarian beers together.

The next day the coin fetched €1800. But I had given up long before :shock:

Do you have the 5kop1761MM? I don't :drool:

Happy hunting, Sigi

I got 61MM, but it is so ugly, I never want to look at it... I am still missing the 68MM, 88 M -- M, and 95MM. I was lucky to purchase an 89MM some time ago, and my 61MM is from T. Hoiland. I was very close to buying a very nice 95MM (red and beautiful) some time in 2005-6, but I did not bid enough stopping at $5000. 68 I never found in proper condition, and 88 M--M -- there are so many fakes that I do not want to bother. A very rare coin now regularly appears at small auctions in Russia with die variations...

from MM i have 1767, 1768, 1788, 1789 and missing 1795; i like my 1768 MM !

mine 1768 MM came from ebay, surprisenly there were very low bidders but 5 kopek is gorgeous