CoinPeople.com

Need Help Identifying 19 old British Coins

hiho

I bought a lot (#23988) of nineteen British coins recently at the Heritage Long Beach auction on a whim and would like to request some help identifying and grading them plus assigning baseline values.

I plan on keeping about one third of these and selling off the rest (probably here) so any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

As you may or may not know I am pretty active collecting Conder Tokens, especially the Pidcock series, but will definitely need help with the others.

The first coin appears to be a Henry V Groat (Henricus). It weighs 3.75 grams and has a diameter of 25mm. I am told the condition is Nearly Fine.

HammeredObv.jpg

HammeredRev.jpg

I will add a new coin or two every day or so and look forward to any and all comments.

I am very impressed! These are nice whim purchases. Fortunately this isn't a groat of Edward III! This is a groat of Henry V with hENRICVS on the obverse starting at 12 O'clock and a mullet on right breast. In this condition I'd say about £150GBP, nearly fine.

As for the halfpenny (depending upon diameter), it has a very large E in TERTIVS which is quite rare. About £75-£90GBP?

Fantastic information YeOldeCollector, and greatly appreciated.

I have been told that the 1697 coin is most likely a farthing and not a half penny.

I realize now that I need to provide an accurate weight and diameter for these coins and will do so as soon as I get a day off from work and can liberate them from the sealed Heritage holders. Hopefully on Monday.

Until then here are the next two...

1727 Shilling or Sixpence, weighs 5.97 grams and has a diameter of 26mm.

The quality of the G*R engraving suggests this may have been a presentation piece and not graffiti. Any experts out there who could say for sure?

Anyway, a fantastic coin despite the obvious graffiti.

1727GRObv.jpg

1727GRRev.jpg

Fantastic information YeOldeCollector, and greatly appreciated.

I have been told that the 1697 coin is most likely a farthing and not a half penny.

I realize now that I need to provide an accurate weight and diameter for these coins and will do so as soon as I get a day off from work and can liberate them from the sealed Heritage holders. Hopefully on Monday.

Until then here are the next two...

I suspected so, hence my diameter reference. Good luck with the ruler! :grin:

I must say, stunning photographs!

A very nice 1723 Dump Issue farthing, a good £50 or £60 GBP.

Shilling? Sixpence? Let's assume shilling - about £200 GBP if it didn't have the G*R but it does, so about £60 or £70.

I'm afraid I cannot take credit for the photos, these came from the seller.

More great info, thanks again YeOldeCollector. I will have accurate weights and diameters sometime on Monday.

Here are the next two coins in line...

The first of two 1787 sixpence. This one weighs 3.01 grams and has a diameter of 21mm.

The photos only hint at the incredible toning. This beauty is a keeper, even though it's possible that it may have been cleaned at one time.

Maybe, maybe not.

Also, what are those beads of sweat on his neck?

I will eventually post new photos of this coin as time permits, it deserves special attention in my opinion.

1787Obv.jpg

1787Rev.jpg

Presuming it is a halfpenny, about £20.

1787 sixpence or shilling that has been cleaned and has no semée of hearts - about £50 to £70. The beads of sweat are most likely a die flaw.

The beads of sweat are most likely a die flaw.

And a fairly interesting die flaw too. I'll post the second 1787 Sixpence which was struck from a normal die.

The second of two 1787 sixpence. This one weighs 3.0 grams and has a diameter of 22mm. This coin appears to have been struck using new dies, especially the reverse.

1787-2Obv.jpg

1787-2Rev.jpg

The second of two 1787 sixpence. This one weighs 3.0 grams and has a diameter of 22mm. This coin appears to have been struck using new dies, especially the reverse.

Nice and even colour.

1794 Holloway's Bridgewater Half Penny Condor Token (D&H Somersetshire 86)

OBV: Post Office

REV: Borough Of Bridgewater Castle Tower and Turrets on the river Parret.

EDGE: On Demand We Promise To Pay

Looks Mint State to me, especially the castle side. Sharp strike.

1794HalfpennyRev.jpg

1794HalfpennyObv.jpg

Nice token. You'll need Pat's advice on that one but I like the castle and post office depicted!

As for the cartwheel, pretty common and would probably fetch about £30 here in the UK. Probably more in the US.

1811 Newcastle Penny -- Weighs18.37 grams with a diameter of 34mm.

OBV: Sailing ship loading cargo at coal staith with "Bewicke Main Colliery -- 1811"

REV: "One Penny Payable at Newcastle On Tyne and London"

EDGE: Diagonally Milled

Davis Northumberland #16, Withers #885

1811NewcastlePennyObv.jpg

1811NewcastlePennyRev.jpg

Make me a decent cash or trade offer and it's yours.....

1819 Menlough Castle Token -- Weighs 9.77 grams with a diameter of 28mm.

OBV: Leopard with "Virtus Sola Nobilitat" (Virtue Alone Ennobles)

REV: Menlough Castle Sixpence Work Token -- 1819

Davis #1

Fairly rare and worth (I think) about $100 or more in this condition. Usually the leopards face is completely worn down.

1819CastleTokenRev.jpg

1819CastleTokenObv.jpg