CoinPeople.com

An Almost Impossible Set To Complete, But Here It Is.

DSCF0938-horz.jpg

This one completes the set of three Frederick Wilhelm III by Kettle,this one & the next are certainly by Thomas Kettle in 1814 but there is some doubt for the last one, which I still think was the work of Henry Kettle in 1796. What is not in doubt is that the person portrayed on all these medals is Frederick Wilhelm II(who died in 1797) not his son, Frederick Wilhelm III.

Fauver(Exonumia Symbolism etc) lists this as; Frederick 1814-2b(for brass) P(for plain edge) 24 . 5mm R-8(5-10 known), mine is AE, not listed as such.

Obv. FRIED WILHELM KOENIG VON PRUSSEN

Rev. DIE/ FREYHEIT/ VON EUROPA/ WIEDER HERGESTELLT/ BEY ENGLAND/ UND IHREN/ BUNDS GENOSSEN/ DER FRIEDE/ UNTERSCHRIEBEN/ ZU PARIS/ MAY 30 1814. For a translation see the next medal.

IMG_2947.jpgIMG_2949.jpg

Frederick 1814-1b(b for brass) P(for plain edge) 24 . 5mm R-5 (75-200 known) my example is AE, not listed as such.

Obv. Uniformed bust of the King of Prussia, bare head, right. FRIED WILHELM KOENIG VON PRUSSEN (Friedrick Wilhelm, King of Prussia)

Rev. THE / LIBERTIES / OF EUROPE RESTD. / BY THE UNITED / EFFORTS OF ENGLAND / AND HER / AUGUST ALLIES / THE / PRELIMINARIES / OF PEACE SIGNED / MAY 30 / 1814

Also listed by Brown in BHM #809 - 1814, Bronze(traces of gilt) 25mm N.(for normal) by T. Kettle. Only listed in brass.

954978.jpg

Fauver(Exonumia Symbolism etc) places this as 1814 Frederick-3kpa(gold plated copper) P(plain edge) 23 . 5 mm R-8(5-10 known) by Thomas Kettle 1814. I still think it was produced by Henry Kettle in 1797 to commemorate Frederick Wilhelm II's death in that year, see previous post http://www.coinpeopl...__fromsearch__1

It is almost an exact copy of the Prussian 1796 d'or with the Berlin mintmark A.

That would mean that the portrait on this medal, if produced in 1797 for Frederick II's death, was the correct one to use, whereas if it is a 1814 medal it was the wrong one. Why Thomas used the deceased King's image for his son's in 1814 is a bit strange, maybe just a mistake.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Hello everyone, this is my 1st post here and I know it is reviving an old thread but I have recently acquired one of these medals. Does anyone here happen to know anything else on these, as already said above there is hardly any information on this coin, if there is only 5-10 known to exist I have only found 3 examples, one here, one in a museum, and the one I have just received. I been going nuts trying to find any more information on this or any other Kettle medals that were made, any help would be appreciated. Here is mine, its been beaten pretty bad but is definitely the 1st medal posted up above.

medal002_zps8c7da562.jpg

medal001_zps0d0f9ea8.jpg

Unfortunately, if you are a seller, the value of this type of exonumia is not too high, great if you are a buyer though. I only paid about $30 for mine over Ebay.

Even though it is extremely rare there are not too many collectors, unless 2 people decide that they "must have it" I would expect it to go for only $20-$40. You do have an advantage in that you can supply some info about its rarity etc, the seller of mine posted no info at all.

If you do a search for Kettle in this forum you will find lots of info on the Kettle family(Henry & Thomas) of die-sinkers' tokens/medal in my posts.