CoinPeople.com

identification

Jazinta

I have this note but I don't know were its from. The color is red and pink and it looks like anyone could print it from their home. The value is 2 and its from 2004 and the writing for words has letters like curved r's, u's and n's. The front has a priest or king, a Bizantine church and a crest with a crowned eagle. The back has Jesus Christ, another religious and a cross?

Does anyone know where it can be from?

I thought I would do a facebook on coinpeople today by "liking" Scottishmoney's impressive responsive, but failed miserably

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

and this was my first (ever). Apparently, I am not authorized to send any positive vibes on CP :).

As always, I am amazed and impressed with the breadth and depth of knowledge of some members here, with Scottishmoney at the head of that list.

Nagorno-Karabakh, a breakaway region in Armenia/Azerbaijan produced these notes for publicity back a few years ago.

So is it real money, because I can't ind it in the standard catalog while I can find the full section for Transinistria.

So is it real money, because I can't ind it in the standard catalog while I can find the full section for Transinistria.

I believe they are made more for publicity and collectors than for actual circulation. The Transdnestr notes actually circulate, because it operates as a country but not recognised by too many other places. Pretty scary place actually, like a 50 year throwback to 1950s era USSR - and place I travelled through without permission once - I played asleep going through border check. Many roads near now borders in the old USSR cross back and forth because one time until 1991 they were all in the same country.

I believe they are made more for publicity and collectors than for actual circulation. The Transdnestr notes actually circulate, because it operates as a country but not recognised by too many other places. Pretty scary place actually, like a 50 year throwback to 1950s era USSR - and place I travelled through without permission once - I played asleep going through border check. Many roads near now borders in the old USSR cross back and forth because one time until 1991 they were all in the same country.

That must be scary! I was never in such dangerous places but my parents were in Croatia in 1990. Also, do you know if the places like Abkazia, South Ossetia, Kosovo, etc. have their own money?

These Nagorno-Karabakh notes were produced by a clever dealer to make some money...the Armenian government launched a protest and I heard that this dealer is no longer allowed to advertise for them on his website. These "notes" are mere phantasy notes, they were produced only for collectors. In Nagorny-Karabakh only thge normal Armenian money is circulating.

Erwin

That must be scary! I was never in such dangerous places but my parents were in Croatia in 1990. Also, do you know if the places like Abkazia, South Ossetia, Kosovo, etc. have their own money?

The first two use Russian rubles, the last one uses Euro currency. Kosovo did overprint Macedonian notes in 1999, but then adopted the Euro when it became a currency in 2002.

Thank you. So of unrecognized countries only Transnistria and Somaliland have their own notes? I can't find from other declared states.

Off hand, I can recall Cook Islands and Faroe Islands that have their own currency.

Off hand, I can recall Cook Islands and Faroe Islands that have their own currency.

Isle of Man, Jersey and Netherlands Antilles had their own notes also, but none of these 5 declared their independence.

Then there's the private bank notes of Hong Kong, Scotland, and Northern Ireland.

But they didn't declare independence (yet?). There is also the Republic of Texas notes; I don't think they were recognized at all.

5742886_1_l.jpg

But they didn't declare independence (yet?). There is also the Republic of Texas notes; I don't think they were recognized at all.

Well, how about the most interesting of them all then, Taiwan?

Well, how about the most interesting of them all then, Taiwan?

I have one of their coins, but no notes, sadly. And on that note, does Palestine (PLO or whatever their governemnt is called) issue money? I have Palestine stamps, but it probably is from the British mandate period.

I have one of their coins, but no notes, sadly. And on that note, does Palestine (PLO or whatever their governemnt is called) issue money? I have Palestine stamps, but it probably is from the British mandate period.

Palestine doesn't issue any currency. I don't know the history too well, but I think after the British left, they likely stopped having their own currency and the Israeli currency came into being. Today the official currency in Palestine is the Israeli Shekel or the New Shekel. Recently, in the last couple of years Palestine has been seriously thinking about resurrecting the Palestinian Pound, but nothing has materialized yet.