CoinPeople.com

Russian Numismatic Society database test at rnsdb.x10.mx/rnsdb

Guest rnsdb

The link to download "lit.zip" is broken. However, if you copy & paste the link to "lit.accdr" into your browser's address line and replace the extension ".accdr" with ".zip", you can still download it.

Ok, thanks for the catch. I think it's fixed now to download a zip file of 22 images. I'll be adding two more next week of a genuine and fake 1912 Napoleon commemorative from JRNS 7. There's a neat way to filter originals that have associated forgeries and forgeries and display them on a form side by side with associated text on how to compare.

I'll have a screen shot of that on the coins download page, but the download of the database itself has to wait pending any Severin copyright issues, whether to switch to Julian, and whether the literature test goes anywhere. I've written to Bob Julian hoping he can provide some guidance.

Ron

Ok, thanks for the catch. I think it's fixed now to download a zip file of 22 images. I'll be adding two more tomorrow of a genuine and fake 1912 Napoleon commemorative from JRNS 7. There's a neat way to filter originals that have associated forgeries and forgeries and display them on a form side by side with associated text on how to compare.

I'll have a screen shot of that on the coins download page, but the download of the database itself has to wait pending any Severin copyright issues, whether to switch to Julian, and whether the literature test goes anywhere. I've written to Bob Julian hoping he can provide some guidance.

Ron

What are these copyright issues exactly? This is what is stated in the original Severin silver coins reference:

severin0002.jpg

I take that jpg to mean a dealer listing a few dozen coins or an article on the Constantine ruble. When I built this in 1983 for my own personal use, I put in all the Severin silver and gold numbers, not just some. I'm entitled to do this since I bought the book and it's for my own use. Now that I'm offering it as a Wiki effort, it's no longer that.

Also, I've got the descriptions in. Most of these probably came from Mikhailovitch, but some probably not being due to additional Severin research. There seems to be no problem with Brekke as there's no copyright in his book, and there's no problem with literature or medals as I constructed those ad hoc from auctions. In fact, literature and medals may be a new numbering system which is the access ID of the database, replacing Reihel etc as it can instantly be looked up.

If it's a showstopper, I can always drop the Severin references and go with the access number, but that would be a shame. While trying to resolve this, I may release the medals database to give a feel of how coins would work, although both are similar to literature.

Ron

• 2 weeks later...

The literature database lit.accdr has been updated and is available for download at rnsdb.x10.mx/rnsdb, along with the readmelitv2.rtf on how to install it and the 22 test images. So far, nobody has run the test, posted at the Forum or volunteered for any of the 10 tasks.

1. It appears to run on Vista/Win7 laptops and possibly desktops without the screen sizing problem. Confirmation is needed

2. It now consists of 472 names (czars, mints, medallists etc), 620 master records (auctions, periodicals, reference works) and 820 auction prices realized

3. There are 12 hyperlinks in the Memo field for the important auctions I found on coinpeople plus several Markov/Baldwin, 2 for the Grand Duke, and one for the Corpus. I have the prices realized for most auctions and included a pdf of the 1913 Hess Tolstoi. I will add the Hess Duplicates if there's interest. More and more auction hyperlinks are becoming available eg Six Bid and the database is a convenient way to link to them as well as any hyperlink of interest. There is a volunteer task for this.

4. There is now an additional filter for importance. You can now choose to browse only the most important auctions or reference works.

5. All 91 RNS Journal issues are now listed plus 20 of the Newsletters. Issues 1-10 now have the contents of the title page in the Memo field for browsing and key word search. The index for issues 1-70 is also included. There is a volunteer task on the Forum to do the other 81 issues

6. There is now a field when adding prices from foreign auctions to enter the price in marks etc. The program converts it to US $ using the xchg rate and commission included in the auction Master Record

7. There is now a full screen zoom for all the Memo fields allowing for editing and full articles to be read

The medals database medals.accdr with 620 medlals and 830 prices will be available for downloading 9/28. It requires lit.accdr to be installed, as it uses the auction master records to display and enter new prices realized. A new feature allows filtering of original medals which have known forgeries, and the forgeries themselves, to be displayed side by side. One forgery will be included to test the function

The coins database coins.accdr will be available 10/5. Until copyright issues are resolved, it will be stripped of all Brekke and Severin entries except for overstrikes, and can be used for testing and adding forgeries, error coins, and wire money. It has all the features of the other two databases except more sort/filter options. The 1912 Napoleon commemorative ruble and it's forgery are included for testing of the function

Can anyone provide one or two images of an Imperial Russian medal forgery together with a brief description of how to detect. Preferably a Peter the Great forgery

I want to put it in the medals database as a new entry coded as a forgery, and test the software to do a side by side comparison with the original, which will be coded as an original with a known associated forgery. I want to filter these originals together with the forgeries and see if I can zoom it all into a single screen

Please mail to rnsdb@yahoo.com

Ron

• 2 years later...