CoinPeople.com

The last polupolutinnik (25 kopek) of the Tsar era - why no mint master mark?

gxseries

I have been chasing all other coins in my collection and it turns out I was missing this particular coin for a while.

What puzzled me is this -

All silver coins struck in this era would still have the mintmaster mark either on the coin or on the edge. However the last era, Nicholas II 25 kopek coin doesn't show any mintmaster mark even though the smaller denomination do. This coin's edge is reeded.

My question is - why??? I noticed that this coin was not struck very commonly either hence there is limited years of what you can collect.

Would post photos when I get around.

The 25 kopek coin was ever only mildly popular, and more likely when more of them were struck in the 1870's. It was an orphan denomination that never really fit in since there was already a 20 kopek coin that had been around since the 18th century. It would seem like it was a denomination that some mintmaster thought should takeover for the 20 kopek coin, but a lot like the 20 cent coin in the USA mindsets formed over a long time worked against it.