CoinPeople.com

Missing Y'all, Good to be Back!

TreasureGirl

It took finding a 1998 edition of "North American Coins and Prices" on the streets of San Francisco to re-ignite the spark. It's been a long few years!

In 2009 I had to dump more than half of my collection when my husband was offered (and accepted) $40,000/year job that was retracted after moving into a new condo and buying a new car in order for us to make payments until something else came along (which it didn't, we ended up in my mother-in-law's basement).

Luckily, I got to keep my prized type collection which I moved with us to San Francisco in May 2011. Still, settling into an (exponentially) higher cost-of-living situation has kept it sitting in a DirecTV cardboard box in my closet.

Anyway, so I decided to quit sulking and get back into the swing of things, and here I am! I'd love to hear all the latest developments (well, since 2008!) with the website and your collections (among other things you'd like to share). And hello to all of those I still need to meet!

Hope you still have your little Canadian gold coin - wasn't like a little gold dollar or something? Gosh, I haven't had a cointest in a long time. Maybe it would spice things up a bit.

About the job/move/selloff - we have all been there. Now we sit back and reflect on how bored we must have been back in those "fun" days when we could just literally drop everything on a pin and book a trip to Paris without a second thought. My life changed after 2008 - lot busier with family and also a project overseas that takes up a lot of energy and patience.

Welcome back and welcome to the Bay Area. If you get lonely and want to engage fellow collectors, check out the monthly meeting of the Pacific Coast Numismatic Society. We meet the fourth Wednesday of every month (except Jume) at Fort Mason. Our website: http://www.pcns.org.

Welcome back and welcome to the Bay Area. If you get lonely and want to engage fellow collectors, check out the monthly meeting of the Pacific Coast Numismatic Society. We meet the fourth Wednesday of every month (except Jume) at Fort Mason. Our website: http://www.pcns.org.

When I lived out there in the Beast Bay I got the journals from the PCNS and really enjoyed them. Never made the meetings, but did a couple of shows once.

Scott - Couldn't bring myself to part with the only piece of gold I've ever owned/probably will ever own.

Bill - Most definitely! I'll probably be there between chorus rehearsals.

Marianne - I didn't know there was an "old" SF mint, but that makes sense! I was SO disappointed to learn the current mint does not do tours (but I guess I understand); that's gonna be a day trip!

If you're in with the right crowd, ala joining the PCNS, they do very occasionally allow specific groups into the new(1937) mint. Many places do not do normal "public" tours, but if you are in a vetted group you might be able to sneak a peak. I myself have been into the SF Federal Reserve Bank, checked out their exhibits of large denomination bills, got to paw some counterfeits, and looked at the cash room down in the deep recesses of the building.

As with everyone else, always glad to see old faces. Sorry to hear about the bad luck with jobs. I've never lived in California but from what everyone says, jobs are not plentiful. In the Northern Ill. area it seams jobs are all over the place. Every time I go anywhere, I see signs saying help wanted.

Hopefully all there will be OK soon.