CoinPeople.com

5kop1796AM - is this a reoverstrike or not

sigistenz

Hi friends - this coin looks suspicious :shock: Is ít reoverstruck from the 10 - ДЕСЯТЬ - kopek 1796 ?

I hope eagle eyes gxseries will also comment.

Thank you, Sigi

This stuff really does look like letters, but I can't picture how these traces relate to the 1796 design. What does the edge look like? Any traces of a rope edge under the grid?

There is no rope edge known for 1796AM. The edge is the normal AM reticulated edge.

I think I know what Sigi is trying to illustrate.

First obverse picture would be the letter "D" for "D"ECYaTB. This is more difficult than I expected. Sigi, can you please take it with a bit more light and have it on a angle?

Yes, it looks like a cyrillic D. As the coin was lacqered it is now bathing in acetone. Once stripped I'll make new pictures.

There is no rope edge known for 1796AM. The edge is the normal AM reticulated edge.

For 1796 AM 10 kopeeks the edge should be rope. If this is an overstrike of a 1796 10 kopeeks this coin should have at least some trace of over edging from the 1796 AM 10 kopeeks to the recoined "1796" AM 5 kopeeks with reticulated edge.

For 1796 AM 10 kopeeks the edge should be rope. If this is an overstrike of a 1796 10 kopeeks this coin should have at least some trace of over edging from the 1796 AM 10 kopeeks to the recoined "1796" AM 5 kopeeks with reticulated edge.

You are perfectly right - I only checked Wolmar and Conros catalogs where there is no mention of a rope edge variant for 5kop1796AM.

Logically a 10kop1796AM with its rope edge should leave at least traces of that edge when reoverstruck into a 5kop1796AM.

Thank you for widening my horizon! :art:

But sadly enough my coin doesn't reveal the slightest trace of a rope edge :sorry: It is just reticulated.

The 10kop1796 were not issued for circulation. So it is very unlikely that AM reoverstruck any reticulated edge 10kop1796 from another mint, but only their own rope edged 10kop1796AM.

This means that my coin is likely just a normal 5kop1796AM without more.

:cry: Sigi

i would stay with gxseries and wait for more LARGE photos fro Sigi,

especially areas with traces of letters

Sorry for the delay but that many pictures take time. As pictures should show details but are limited here to 500K I'll have to split my 12 pictures into 5 postings. I took 4 each of date side, eagle side and edge. Attached are the first 2 of date side. The 2nd 2 of date side to follow.

Sorry for the delay but that many pictures take time. As pictures should show details but are limited here to 500K I'll have to split my 12 pictures into 5 postings. I took 4 each of date side, eagle side and edge. Attached are the first 2 of date side. The 2nd 2 of date side to follow.

Attached the 2nd 2 pictures of date side.

Sorry for the delay but that many pictures take time. As pictures should show details but are limited here to 500K I'll have to split my 12 pictures into 5 postings. I took 4 each of date side, eagle side and edge. Attached are the first 2 of eagle side. The 2nd 2 of eagle side to follow.

Sorry for the delay but that many pictures take time. As pictures should show details but are limited here to 500K I'll have to split my 12 pictures into 5 postings. I took 4 each of date side, eagle side and edge. Attached are the first 2 of eagle side. The 2nd 2 of eagle side to follow.

Here are the 2nd 2 of the eagle side

I can't see any traces of overstriking on the coin surfaces, and the edge should show more traces of the rope edge if there was a re-edging involved. But I'm certainly no expert on these things, although I have studied them to a certain degree.

Sigi, did you measure the diameter and thickness? If overstruck, it should be somewhat wider and flatter than a regular pyatak.

I can't see any traces of overstriking on the coin surfaces, and the edge should show more traces of the rope edge if there was a re-edging involved. But I'm certainly no expert on these things, although I have studied them to a certain degree.

Sigi, did you measure the diameter and thickness? If overstruck, it should be somewhat wider and flatter than a regular pyatak.

Bob, on my 1st picture there is an arrow pointing to what looks like a previous Д (from ДЕСЯТЬ).

The reoverstrikes are sometimes larger than the regular coins - and sometimes they aren't. There were quite some examples in the Bakken sale, compare the pictures.

Not too sure if you like this or not:

d1-2_f2.png

I'm figuring this is where the underlayer is to be at.

Very interesting, Hisa! What do you think - could it be a re-overstrike? What about the other side?

Thank you for your time.

I tried to remove the green stuff out of the edge's holes but without much success.

It would go away by cooking the coin in soda but the color would probably suffer.

Sigi