CoinPeople.com

Collections within collections.

I'm collecting medals commemorating the Royal Family it seems simple medals made for royal events but once you start collecting you begin to notice collections in your collection. I've two medals for King Edward VII which I think will illustrate what I mean.thumb-9.jpeg This obverse is used on two medals in my collection it is by E. Fuches and I believe it to be the official portrait for the coronation so they could be something which could grow as a collection any medal with this obverse. The reverse of this medal could be another collection in it's own right that of city and county crests.thumb-10.jpeg This one for Newcastle on Tyne and thumb-11.jpeg This one for Carlisle I also have a crest for Birmingham and Cardiff for Edward VII with different obverse and I have several other city crests for George V and George VI, I think it is interesting how one generic collection can begin to develope into several more specific collections.

Do you divide your collections into sub-sections or do people not give it much thought?

The possibilities are many and varied, you can group by one particular engraver, by theme, by one particular topic(political reform England 19th century etc), by metal, error types, by period or specific year, by copy/reducing lines(my particular bent), etc, etc. One of the things that attract me to buy a medal is how many boxes it ticks for me. One problem is that those "box ticking medals" fall across too many of my groups for easy placement within just one. Mentally, or using pictures, I can place one particular medal into as many of my groupings as I want, the only real problem is physically placing the medal in to just one group for display or storage.

So I do, mentally & photographically, divide my collection into sub-sections, but I don't give it too much thought :yes:

I most definitely divide my collection into sections and sub-sections, but I do so through my database, collecting activities, and research projects. My example would be storecards of C. A. Klinkner, an early (1880s & 1890s) San Francisco token and medal maker. The primary collection is my interest in early San Francisco tokens and medals. Klinkner store cards were first purchased as part of that collection. But, I also collect medals and tokens from medal and token makers, diesinkers, etc. It fits in that collection as well. Klinkner also made a few Lord's Prayer tokens and I have a collection of them as well. Finally, I am currently writing an article about a few of Klinkner's early store cards, so they form their own primary collection as well for my research.

For me, the crossover adds to the fun of collecting tokens and medals as opposed to dates and mintmarks. One purchase can send you off in a wide variety of interesting new directions.

This is the first time I've thought about it and... I don't have any major overlaps at all. I collect US coins & currency by series, so there is very little overlap built in. And they are homogenous enough that there are no subcollections. Interesting.

I most definitely divide my collection into sections and sub-sections, but I do so through my database, collecting activities, and research projects. My example would be storecards of C. A. Klinkner, an early (1880s & 1890s) San Francisco token and medal maker. The primary collection is my interest in early San Francisco tokens and medals. Klinkner store cards were first purchased as part of that collection. But, I also collect medals and tokens from medal and token makers, diesinkers, etc. It fits in that collection as well. Klinkner also made a few Lord's Prayer tokens and I have a collection of them as well. Finally, I am currently writing an article about a few of Klinkner's early store cards, so they form their own primary collection as well for my research.

For me, the crossover adds to the fun of collecting tokens and medals as opposed to dates and mintmarks. One purchase can send you off in a wide variety of interesting new directions.

I agree with you about going off in different directions and another thing I find I like about collecting medals and tokens as opposed to coins is they are not so well researched, you buy a medal and you can have quite a bit fun trying to find out a bit more about it some I google and find out more others there's no hits but with coins everything is pretty much documented so you come home with a coin put it in your collection and thats about it I certainly get more value for my money out of medals/tokens with time spent researching and cataloguing.

I agree with you about going off in different directions and another thing I find I like about collecting medals and tokens as opposed to coins is they are not so well researched, you buy a medal and you can have quite a bit fun trying to find out a bit more about it some I google and find out more others there's no hits but with coins everything is pretty much documented so you come home with a coin put it in your collection and thats about it I certainly get more value for my money out of medals/tokens with time spent researching and cataloguing.

Exactly why I collect exonumia, I have always loved history, so both the researching of a particular medal & who or what it commemorates, plus how that fits in with other events(pre & post) & the engravers & physical changes in design & manufacture, a virtual goldmine of research.

Another "Set" of Royal medal commemoratives I have is where the reverse has "Made in Britain" as part of the lettering the crest stays the same and the lettering or obverse is different. post-430-0-13177600-1342858743_thumb.jpeg I have a 1935 silver jubilee of King George V and I have two for the coronation of King George VI in 1937 in this case the obverse is different. Does anyone have any Made in Britain medals for other events or the same events with different lettering or obverses? Does anyone know about Made in Britain is it a specific company? and what do you know about it? Full details and pictures in links below.

http://www.neocollect.com/item/5160/

http://www.neocollect.com/item/5172/

http://www.neocollect.com/item/5792/