CoinPeople.com

Hess Duplicates of Russian Museums Sale (1930s) catalog now online

sigistenz

The Heidelberg university put the 2 rare catalogs online. No prices given but click on the "Tafel.." link for the pictures.

They are sharp and don't include any Chinese fakes, as there weren't any at the time. Enjoy, Sigi

P.S. For the two catalogs see TWO links below.

http://digi.ub.uni-h...nachf1932_04_25

http://digi.ub.uni-h...nachf1931_02_18

-

• 1 month later...

this is a great help to any level collector of russian coins !

• 1 month later...

Great links!

A couple of others with Russian Material:

Adolph Hess Nachfolger

Auction 202 (1930) http://digi.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/diglit/hess_nachf1930_10_28

Auction 217 (1933) http://digi.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/diglit/hess_nachf1933_07_11bd2

Adolph E. Cahn

Auction 66 (1930) http://digi.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/diglit/cahn1930_05_06

Looks like they have a lot more and I'm only just starting to explore

Nice finds. The Hess duplicates and Cahn auctions are in the lit.accdr database, and now that hyperlinks are allowed in the Memo field, I added those 3 hyperlinks.

I have the prices realized for all 3 auctions. If anybody has spare time, you can volunteer to enter the prices into the coins.accdr database. Scroll to the coin, click Z which will open an add Price form, and click for condition, flaws, and ref number of the auction. Type in price in marks, lot# and any text. The program will convert marks to dollars at the exchange and commission rate. Depending on the # of lots chosen using rarity/price/special interest criteria, it could only take an hour or so. I guess it would help to read German and figure out the Brekke/Severin number to use.

There's a volunteer task for this at the forum at rnsdb.x10.mx/rnsdb which describes more detail.

When I find time, I'll go through Steves wiki pages and see if any important auctions are missing from what's in lit.accdr. I think almost all of the important auctions up through the 1980's are there....Klingert, Mikhailovitch, bunch of Deiter Gorney, Swiss Bank, Christies, etc. plus a lot of Kolbe and Kolbe/Spink.

Ron

George Kolbe has been noticing these older catalogs going on line and as pdfs. He seems to think it will cause the prices of the originals to slump. I'm not sure. What it's doing it expanding the availability of material and expanding the base of collectors or those interested, some of whom will want the originals.

I gave the example of Andy Warhol paintings of which zillions of prints exist, but the originals sell for tens of millions. Same with Hemmingways on line. Inflation or hyperinflation is also a factor at work, as well as the new found freedoms in Russia

Ron

Ron, do you have the prices realized for the Duplicates or the initial valuations? For some Hess auctions I thought I had a PRL only to find it was the set of estimates.

:doh:

The russian auction wiki http://russian-coin-...ct.wikidot.com/ is far from complete and I expect your information is much more complete. It started out a couple of years ago and I had a lot of help from our literature expert Mr. Kuna. Also, Brekke's handwritten notes (some of which have been transcribed on the wiki) and the JRNS auction watches and articles on auction literature were invaluable sources. Some of the pages have '+' symbols where you can expand auction details to see notable lots etc.

Sadly, I got pulled away, though, as other commitments called over the past year.

Time to pick things up again :read:

I double checked. The Cahn is valuations. The two Hess are prices realized. The 19th century one is the auctioneers' copy,with a mimeograph like listing of prices realized and a hand written page bound in with each page with what appears to be buyer names.

As an aside, when your site mentions a reference copy, are you saying a physical copy? There doesn't appear to be any way to look at it on the site.

Ron

OK. Thanks Ron. BTW, what is the 19thC catalog you're referring to?

Availability of catalogs and prls on my wiki site refers to what I have personally. For the older catalogs this usually means physical catalogs (I have shelves of catalogs and more in storage, many not in the wiki). A few older catalogs have been scanned, or I've found a pdf somewhere, and the possession of a PDF usually noted. These online Heidelberg scans will certainly save a lot of work!

For newer auctions, I will more likely have pdfs (and sometimes paper)

There are many wiki entries for catalogs and/or prices-relaized I don't have. I had this vision (a couple of years ago) of having a central russian numismatic auction catalog library for open research use (copyright issues notwithstanding). Like m-dv.ru but for the older material. I'm still thinking on and off about that. I thought people could then contribute their own pdfs of catalogs or prices, or mail them to me to be scanned (and returned).

The wiki format is not perfect. Overall I like it, especially the interaction experience in the final product, but editing correctly is only for advanced users.

<<what is the 19thC catalog you're referring to?>>>>

the hess duplicates.

how did you plan to distribute these? the direction for the internet world is free, either by volunteer efforts like Wikepedia, donations, or by ads paying for costs plus profits. I would imagine even later catalogs like Christies 1979 will become available free as unlike a book these are not in print. I think something like SixBid and Markov will encourage that, with the payoff being the expanded business for the auction house that the availibility of free information provides

Ron

<<what is the 19thC catalog you're referring to?>>>>

the hess duplicates.

Ah. The material in the catalog, not the catalog date. Got it.

how did you plan to distribute these? the direction for the internet world is free, either by volunteer efforts like Wikepedia, donations, or by ads paying for costs plus profits. I would imagine even later catalogs like Christies 1979 will become available free as unlike a book these are not in print. I think something like SixBid and Markov will encourage that, with the payoff being the expanded business for the auction house that the availibility of free information provides

Ron

Online access to summary information and research tools for anybody. Nothing commercial. I've covered costs so far across the catalog and translation wikis and the RNS website. And yes I think dealers would encourage these efforts, much like our US-based dealer friends encouraged and supported the RNS.

:art:

I located more than 50 Auction Catalogs on the Heidelberg site with Russian Material. Catalog dates range from 1930-1944. Some minor, but some spectacular. The list, with all the links, is here:

http://russian-coin-...idot.com/latest

Total size of the PDFs is around 1.4 GB

Steve

:art:

i just realized why they (Heidenberg) put those sales on line - no one can bother them anymore to make some pages copies, to find out how was particular lot sold, make a pic of plates, etc. ( as they have a nice and large library )

i would agree with mr Kolbe on his statement, yes prices can drop down;

but also I would add, it depends how far those firm go with publishing theses sales on line

so far - its selection is very raw - just for beginners and to kick off folks with their inquiries

i meant that it is too far its completeness;

in my opinion, there are five large groups for such catalogs

1.foreign pre-1917

2.russian pre-1917

3.foreign 1917- 1941

4.russian 1927-1934

5.world and russian 1941-2012

most easy obtainable groups are 3 & 5

also, back to a phrase just for beginners - there missing so much i cannt even start counting

lets name some:

duplicates of hermitage 1919 (avail on staraya-moneta btw)

tolstoy

klingert

1910 unnamed by Egger

kube multiples

no time at all, you right too

also no catalogs easy availabe to buy as well

fifteen years ago and more - was plenty of them

• 2 weeks later...

I have the prices realized for those two Hess duplicates sales. I scanned a pdf of the 1913 Tolstoi prices and they're in the literature database lit.accdr, both in the memo field and as a link to rnsdb.x10.mx/rnsdb I cant find a link for the auction itself. If I find time I'll scan them and add the links as well as the pr content.

I'm trying to figure out how to add the items from the electronic library by Skorpian. It looks like that was an attempt to provide important reference works for fee/free download and has Orischnikov, Schubert etc but apart from the 10 entries in 2010 by him, there's been nothing added and no volunteers came forward to add other works. The site is somewhat difficult to use

Ron

• 1 month later...