CoinPeople.com

Please can you help identify

AlecEiffel

Hi all.

First post, and I'm afraid it's a "please help identify this coin" post - sorry.

My Mum's uncle found this in WW2 in (she thinks) Sicily.

She thinks he had it looked at in the 50s or so and it wasn't anything special but beyond that nothing - can any of you educated folk help shed any light on what it is?

(Tuppence for scale in first pic - not sure if it's the done thing in the coin world but the geography student in me is coming out again!)

Thanks for any input.

IMAG0010.jpgIMAG0011.jpg

Here is an attribution of the word "kaicap..."

Herod Philip II 4 BC–34 AD

The coins of Herod Philip II are mostly bronze of middle-size. He was the first Jewish ruler to put portraits of himself and the Roman Emperors on his coinage. An early issue has a portrait of the Emperor Augustus, with the Greek inscription 'KAICAPI CEBACTΩ' on the obverse, and 'ΦΙΛΙΠΠΌΎ ΤΕΤΡΆΡΧΌΎ' on the reverse.

Here is an attribution of the word "kaicap..."

Herod Philip II 4 BC–34 AD

The coins of Herod Philip II are mostly bronze of middle-size. He was the first Jewish ruler to put portraits of himself and the Roman Emperors on his coinage. An early issue has a portrait of the Emperor Augustus, with the Greek inscription 'KAICAPI CEBACTΩ' on the obverse, and 'ΦΙΛΙΠΠΌΎ ΤΕΤΡΆΡΧΌΎ' on the reverse.

Alec, I would be very cautious about following this information about Herod as I think it has very little to do with your coin.

You do have a nice coin, though. Look after it!