CoinPeople.com

Daniel Carr's Grabener Press medal

I met Daniel Carr at the ANA convention in Denver this Spring. He is an interesting guy and was helpful with my questions about striking medals, different finishes, and what can be done before striking versus after striking. It was useful to have a chance to discuss ideas with someone who has actually experimented with a real coining press. I have always been intrigued by a medal series he struck on his Grabener coining press that he purchased in a surplus auction from the Denver Mint. In restoring the press, he found a number of struck coins, medals, and coin blanks inside the press. The full story can be found in his web site, http://www.moonlightmint.com/artifacts.htm. After meeting Daniel, I had to have one of his commemorative medals struck using the blanks found inside the press. I selected a quarter blank or the 25 medal. 248 quarter blanks were found inside the press, 213 were struck and encapsulated by ANACS. An accounting of all the Grabener Press medals is found on his web site, http://www.moonlightmint.com/dc-coin_grabener_list.htm. A fun, numismatic related addition to my collection.

7168010821_acd8b0f6b3_b.jpg

Bill that's a wonderful addition to your collection and a nice story. Thanks for sharing the info.

When you think of the billions of coins that are made today, its surprising the presses last as long as they do.

• 3 years later...

It has been awhile since I posted here as I have been busy producing books, editing the TAMS Journal, providing daycare for my grandson, and other fun activities. I recently had the opportunity to spend a few days at Dan Carr's Moonlight Mint. I thought a picture of me striking a medal on the press might be of interest.

17984578689_8c4688de03_c.jpg

Me striking a medal by Bill, on Flickr

I have one of Carr's proof astronaut bimetallic dollar patterns; I would have loved to see that coin adopted, and there are several other designs of his that I would like to get -- especially the parody state quarters. :)

It was cool to strike your own medal. You are really just pushing two buttons requiring two hands (some distance from the press as you can see in the photo) so you can't amputate a finger. We each struck three; silver, copper, and brass. Over one day, we walked through the entire process from design drawings, to computer work, die engraving, striking, and antiquing.

The entire process can be seen in my album https://www.flickr.com/photos/wdhyder/albums/72157653219554071