CoinPeople.com

5 kopek 1763 EM overstrike

sigistenz

I've got a new love affair !! :bhyper: .

What looks like an edge bump at 3 o'clock on the eagle side is worth an extra posting,

I will have to do better pictures first.

Sigi

5kop1763EMoverstrike2.jpg

very nice looking overstrike but not rare, thanks for showing Sigi

I share this kind of affection...

Hi Altyn, good to know I'm not alone :yes:. According to 1763EM mint statistics, there were 32 654 400 pcs struck on new flans and 3 870 700 pcs overstruck on the earlier 10 kopek. Roughly speaking only abt. every tenth of the 1763EM 5kopek is an overstrike. Your overstrike is the large EM variant. With mine being the small EM variant we see that at least 2 different dies were used for overstriking. Thank you for making me see that!

Regards, Sigi

-

Hi Altyn, good to know I'm not alone :yes:. According to 1763EM mint statistics, there were 32 654 400 pcs struck on new flans and 3 870 700 pcs overstruck on the earlier 10 kopek. Roughly speaking only abt. every tenth of the 1763EM 5kopek is an overstrike. Your overstrike is the large EM variant. With mine being the small EM variant we see that at least 2 different dies were used for overstriking. Thank you for making me see that!

Regards, Sigi

-

Thank you for pointing at this difference. Are there just these two distinct sizes? Or a continuum?

This is a great topic!

My first overstruck coin was 1763 EM 5K. bought maybe 20 yrs ago...

It was in with a mail order lot of coins, bought sight unseen for very little, and badly corroded.

I had great fun removing the verdigris, only to discover all those strange extra elements that just didnt belong on this big russian coin! Thus i discovered the fun of overstruck variety.

922091.jpg

Thank you for pointing at this difference. Are there just these two distinct sizes? Or a continuum?

Hi Altyn, Юсупов catalog lists "Буквы ЕМ крупные" showing a picture corresponding to your and Squirrel's coins, valued $8 in F-VF

and "Буквы ЕМ мелкие" (no picture, probably like my coin) valued $6 in F-VF.

Sigi

-

This is a great topic!

My first overstruck coin was 1763 EM 5K. bought maybe 20 yrs ago...

It was in with a mail order lot of coins, bought sight unseen for very little, and badly corroded.

I had great fun removing the verdigris, only to discover all those strange extra elements that just didnt belong on this big russian coin! Thus i discovered the fun of overstruck variety.

922091.jpg

An impressive coin, Josh! It is the large EM variant, valued higher than mine.

Regards, Sigi

Hi Altyn, Юсупов catalog lists "Буквы ЕМ крупные" showing a picture corresponding to your and Squirrel's coins, valued $8 in F-VF

and "Буквы ЕМ мелкие" (no picture, probably like my coin) valued $6 in F-VF.

Sigi

Thank you Sigi. I do not have the Yusupov's catalogue - a clear deficiency in my library that needs to be remedied. Neither Bitkin nor Adrianov (2008) separate these two varieties, but then I found them in the Conros base catalogue. Actually, I am beginning to like it more and more.

Alex, I think that's not a bump because the flan is perfectly circular at that area (not flattened as from a bump). The edge, however widens there. If you hold the coin in hand it looks pretty much as if the coin has been re-edged. Which however would not make much sense - why should it have been done? I'm sorry to still not have satisfactory pictures to show clearly what I mean, still trying :rolleyes:

The relation of new planchets vs. overstrikes was abt. 10 to 1 according to catalogs (Diakov, Wolmar). Pictures are not always clear enough to detect an overstrike, BTW many of those coins are more or less corroded, possibly concealing minor details. It is true that a clear EM overstrike is not seen too often.

Sigi