CoinPeople.com

1564 Elizabeth I Hammered Sixpence, any advice?

deadtime

Hi! This is my first post so please be gentle :-)

I have recently come into possession of what I've found to be an Elizabeth I sixpence. The coin seems to have a back-to-front 2 stamped over the '4' in 1564. Can anyone give any details on this coin?

L88fvh.jpg

gcC6Qh.jpg

J5jMKh.jpg

kj3Foh.jpg

HwXrah.jpg

This is an Elizabeth I Sixpence with the mintmark 'Coronet'. It was originally dated 1567 but the mint has struck an 8 over the 7 to make it1568.

This is an Elizabeth I Sixpence with the mintmark 'Coronet'. It was originally dated 1567 but the mint has struck an 8 over the 7 to make it1568.

Thanks for your reply!

Are you sure about the 7/8? The 8 seems very misplaced relative to the 7. It also looks like the corner of the lower part of the upper number is very straight, almost like a reversed 2.

Welcome, looks a very nice coin from the reverse, it would be great if we could see the obverse though :)

Hi, the reason I didn't include the obverse side at first is because it is very dirty - you can make out the lettering and part of the portrait through the grime but not much else.

cnLoH.jpg

Thanks for your reply!

Are you sure about the 7/8? The 8 seems very misplaced relative to the 7. It also looks like the corner of the lower part of the upper number is very straight, almost like a reversed 2.

Yes. Here's a similar example, albeit slightly lower down in the date space.

24kwnd3.jpg

It cannot be a 1568/4 because the mint mark of a coronet didn't come into play until 1567 as well as this being too long for standard overstriking mint practices. I do, however, agree that the base of your eight is very angular, giving it the appearance of a 1564 date beneath. The example I've pictured above has the same eight as yours, just rotated 180 degrees.

Yes. Here's a similar example, albeit slightly lower down in the date space.

24kwnd3.jpg

It cannot be a 1568/4 because the mint mark of a coronet didn't come into play until 1567 as well as this being too long for standard overstriking mint practices. I do, however, agree that the base of your eight is very angular, giving it the appearance of a 1564 date beneath. The example I've pictured above has the same eight as yours, just rotated 180 degrees.

Thank you! Do you know whether the coin has any value? Will the angular base of the 8 affect the value at all?

It does have some value and whilst the different 8 won't affect the value much, the poor obverse certainly will.

• 1 month later...