CoinPeople.com

Is it just me that coin prices seem to be going up and up?

gxseries

"It's the economy, stupid!" - It's because, at least here in America, the economy is in good (but not yet great) shape. I personally I've been buying more (and yes, I noticed the prices).

When the economy isn't doing well, it's mostly the lower and middle classes who end up with tighter budgets, eg less money to spend on entertainment expenses and things like coins. So prices on the lower and middle end coins stagnate. By contrast, the entertainment budgets of the rich aren't effected nearly as much, so higher/high/very high end coins will retain their value or increase still.

There's also the matter of, if an individual/family in a crunch needs to part with some or all of their collection, it is very often the lower and middle end coins that they sell/put into the marketplace. Supply and demand means the prices for this more common stuff goes down. The rich with the top coins will only part with them if they absolutely must because they fear at auction they won't fetch as much as they could. This has been a recent theme in recent years, with both collectors and dealers claiming that there's no good "fresh" coins available to buy.

In my field there has been a large insurgence of investors to the market, pushing coin prices up beyond the means of the standard collector. There are still bargains out there, though. You just either have to know where to look or be blessed with good luck. In my opinion, I will see coin prices continue to rise as more people seek to have a fairly safe, tangible investment yet still keep in touch with the art and heritage that coins have to offer.

My purchases have slowed down because a good part of my disposable income is now being used on a mortgage instead of rent. But happy I bought a house

I've always preferred owning vs. renting. Gives you more freedom in what you do and when and how. Enjoy the house. Eventually the income will re-adjust, especially when you consider the tax advantages of ownership. Way to go! :bthumbsup:

This week end saw a prime example of over priced coins at several little stops on a road trip. A common year barber half and quarter in polished/cleaned state. (Metal detector finds.) Wanting $100 for both. Says she was thinking about selling them for scrap but would not come off the $100 price. One guy had a couple proof sets. 1982 and 1983. Wanted $30 each and did say he would take $25 each.Seems like in these cases either they just think they can sucker someone in to buying them or over paid in the first place.