CoinPeople.com

Medals of Daniel Dupuis

jlueke

1005213.jpg

1886 Tonkin Military Medal. Bust representing the Republic of France facing left. The headset is garnished with wings and feathers and Patrie (Motherland) is written across the front. The style of this piece definitely was influenced by the realistic Roman portraiture. The reverse read Tonkin Chine Annam 1883-1885 referencing the Franco-Sino War fought over the northern portion of modern Viet-Nam. This medal was issued to about 90,000 veteran of the overall conflict. Silver 30mm.

This version with the six battles on the reverse is the Army version of this medal. The Navy version has one additional battle listed. The cornucopia, designer's signature and the shape of the attachment all are characteristic of an original medal.

Fascinating piece of history. Fascinating artist, as well. I had no idea. Although he died in 1899, his works previously commissioned and prepared were issued in 1900 for a Paris Exposition and 1904 for the St. Louis Worlds Fair. Only 50 when he died, he left behind an astounding array of products.

Thanks for the post.

He really is an interesting fellow, I have examples of most of his struck pieces and plan to post them here over time.

1005336.jpg

1879 Ville de Paris. This is the first medal by Dupuis that uses allegorical figures to represent civic institutions, a theme that he would use throughout his career. Here the figure of the Republic of France is holding a flag in her left hand while the right clasps the hand of the city of Paris. The figure of the city is crowned with the city walls, a depiction dating back to Greek representations of Tyche. The left hand of Paris rests on the coat of arms. The handshake takes place over the altar of the “Patrie” or motherland. A new plant rises from behind the altar towards a radiating star symbolizing the rebirth of France and Paris after the Franco-Prussian War. This specific type was paired with multiple reverses. It was the most popular of Dupuis' early types being reused continually until the creation of Marianne between 1889-1891. The large medal is 74mm Bronze the smaller is 50mm and nickel.

IMAGE_AEF097E9-D326-4352-86F4-22FA548CC694.JPG

1895 Society of Professional Labor. A draped female and nude male figure are surrounded by implements of art. The words Labor and Scientia make up the legend. The reverse reads Societe Centrale du Travail Professionnel. Gilt bronze 54mm.

IMAGE_0D55E661-E745-4CFE-B35B-F867B0C75A75.JPG

1894 Department de la Seine et Oise. A female figure is seated on a stone chair or throne. She holds wreaths in both her hands. A boy genius sits reading a book and holding a trumpet. A helmet and gun lie at the female figure's feet. The reverse has a legend Republique Francaise and the words Prix de Conseil General above an empty plaque. Silver 50mm.

IMAGE_CF9EED4C-6D5A-40DE-8E54-79BC9E7F0453.JPG

The 1894 Department de la Seine et Oise is, I assume, an agricultural/horticultural prize medal seeing the grapes and fruit by the rifle and the hand sickle by the hollow log. Wihout these other objects, the soldiers helmet, gun and trumpet would give the impression of a shooting prize medal.

Or is it a shooting medal for farmers?

The 1894 Department de la Seine et Oise is, I assume, an agricultural/horticultural prize medal seeing the grapes and fruit by the rifle and the hand sickle by the hollow log. Wihout these other objects, the soldiers helmet, gun and trumpet would give the impression of a shooting prize medal.

Or is it a shooting medal for farmers?

That department reported to the Ministry of Commerce and Agriculture. So I'd guess you were correct that is was similar to a 4H prize for some kind of farming.

1005336.jpg

......... The left hand of Paris rests on the coat of arms. The handshake takes place over the altar of the “Patrie” or motherland.

It must be the way Paris is standing. When I first looked it was as if she was holding the arms in her right hand.

This is a new medal that just arrived today. This is one of the scarcer and pricier types in the Dupuis series of medals.

1005784.jpg

This medal was issued to dedicate the new Alexander III bridge in Paris. This was done in conjunction with the 1900 exposition in Paris and Tsar Nicholas II and his Empress visited Paris for the dedication. I love the reverse river source (the figure tipping over the jug o' water). That's a theme again borrowed from ancient coins and I'd love to someday have a collection of these types on ancient coins though they tend to be rarer than I like.

That's a theme again borrowed from ancient coins and I'd love to someday have a collection of these types on ancient coins though they tend to be rarer than I like.

Nice medal.

The `river god' is, unsurprisingly, a regular theme for french jetons and medals. These may be a cheaper but equally rewarding collecting area for your attention. The example below was truck for the merchant trades of Orleans:

912730.jpg

1006067.jpg

The Worlds Fair of 1889 was a big deal for Dupuis as he produced four medals for the celebration. One was a minor alteration to the Ville de Paris type but the other three were new. Most notable is the appearance of Marianne on the obverse of one of the medals. This version, modified slightly, appears on the most commonly reproduced medals of Daniel Dupuis. The highlight of this World's Fair was the opening of the Eiffel Tower, the structure that is now the international symbol of Paris.

A nude genius stands next to a female figure whose outstretched arm points towards the exposition grounds. A male artist looks up at the figure. The reverse is Marianne. Bronze 63mm.

I would love to see larger images, as there is such fine detail in the reverse of the medal, it looks to me that the female figure is not pointing, she is in the act of crowning the artisan(as opposed to artist) with a laurel wreath. The reason I say artisan is the articles being held by him and the ones around him. I think he embodies both artists and skilled craftsmen. I even had to strain to make out the Eiffel Tower :buba: Photobucket is a good choice for free hosting of large images, which can be linked directly to a post. Small images are fine for small medals, even for large medals without much fine detail but this one, large with lots of low relief fine detail, calls out for a large image.

Nice medal :)

The male figure could also be described as Art & Industry. The female appears to be holding an olive branch in her other hand, so she could be Peace or Concordia.

I've been looking for ways to put images in the cloud that are easily accessible elsewhere. I was thinking about looking at Google but I'll look Photobucket as well. Ideally it'll be some place where I can access them ad perhaps even upload from an iPad as well as a desktop. My originals are much larger!

I would love to see larger images, as there is such fine detail in the reverse of the medal, it looks to me that the female figure is not pointing, she is in the act of crowning the artisan(as opposed to artist) with a laurel wreath. The reason I say artisan is the articles being held by him and the ones around him. I think he embodies both artists and skilled craftsmen. I even had to strain to make out the Eiffel Tower :buba: Photobucket is a good choice for free hosting of large images, which can be linked directly to a post. Small images are fine for small medals, even for large medals without much fine detail but this one, large with lots of low relief fine detail, calls out for a large image.

The male figure could also be described as Art & Industry. The female appears to be holding an olive branch in her other hand, so she could be Peace or Concordia.

Expo1889Maryr600.jpg

Here's a 600x600 version. You are correct she is indeed crowning the artist(artisan). In Mazerolle's catalog the female figure is indeed Paix and the male figure is a forgeron, blacksmith.

• 10 months later...

Here's a newer one for me, I think it was issued in 1899 although sources have also mentioned 1892 and 1900. It is a hard one to find online or elsewhere

DSC03878.JPG

Here's a newer one for me, I think it was issued in 1899 although sources have also mentioned 1892 and 1900. It is a hard one to find online or elsewhere

DSC03878.JPG

That's a wonderful medal.