CoinPeople.com

New advice...Grading

Barkoff

Good day.

I am new to coin collecting and found a new interest after inheriting my father's collection. In an effort to get started I recently read "Coin Collecting For Dummies". In this book the author recommends having graded all your coins over the worth of $200.

My father's collection has some double eagles, eagles, half eagles and quarter eagles, all most likey reach or exceed a $200 limit.

Do most collectors here follow said advice?

Thank you.

Indianeagle.jpg

In my opinion you should purchase the red book, get an understanding for what the coin is worth. it tells you what to look for in common grades, and gives you the price. you can also use NGC's website to see how much of a price difference there is if you get it graded. Sometimes the cost to get it graded will cut out any potential profit you can make. If you are not planning on selling them you can just buy coin flips at ebay and enjoy the collection. It is honestly preference. Example sending in a modern penny probably not worth it. Sending in a 1916 D mercury dime in good condition is probably worth it.

Just last week at the Central States Numismatic Convention I was talking to one dealer and I asked them about 1916 standing liberty quarters. He had bought one VG details G cleaned graded by ANACS. He thought he paid well for it but couldn't sell it. He sent it in to PCGS and it came back F-12.

If you want to sell and get the best possible price, you would look into getting the pieces graded and encapsulated. If you want to become a collector (and it looks like dad left you a nice start), store them properly, learn about them, explore and learn a lot more about the hobby. As long as you maintain them properly, you are not losing or gaining any value by keeping them unslabbed. For now, I would enjoy them for what I could learn about collecting and grading. In time, you'll learn more and make a decision about whether you prefer raw coins (your's are now raw coins) or slabbed coins (encapsulated after being graded by a grading service). I prefer raw bacause I like to study and enjoy the up close experience of studying a raw coin. I have a good friend who buys only the best quality and slabs all his choice material. We probably share an equal passion for our collections, we just go about it differently.

I have since bouogh air tight caps for all said gold coins, and the nicer silver. Does anyone know aprox what is would cost for example, taking the indian head above to a dealer to submit for grading?

Dealer fee + PCGS

Thanks, just trying to get a feel for the process. I do in fact have the red book, and it seems if your coin is rated high it can really raise the worth. I might read a book on grading and then see how close my grade is to a dealer in town.

hi .. grade what you want .. at the least it keeps them safe and is top for insurance company's .. dont take them to a dealer .. if you lived in the uk i would get them graded for you for free (you would just pay the NGC fees) i am sure there is a nice local person to you would do the same

Archived