CoinPeople.com

2009 Lincoln Cent Mintages

jlueke

Didn't the mint reports publish proof figures in the past?

I think it does but I don't pay that much attention. Perhaps on the Mint website.

Oddly enough, I cannot find the information anywhere. The mint's website removes all information about regular-issue coins after 3 years, so the earliest figures on their site are from 2010. However, given the trends of that year, I would guess that the figures are probably less than 1-2M per design. Those are the rarest pennies since the 1950s, so I would venture to guess that they will be a good investment opportunity if you have a proof set or two. Keep in mind, however, that every coin collector out there is thinking the same as you, so don't expect too much return unless you can get your coins certified MS69 or 70 by a reputable organization. Same as the '50-D nickel, they will probably increase in demand a fair amount once they dry up from circulation, and then demand will probably even out and remain steady for several decades. But, since people were selling them on eBay by the box, don't expect them to reach much higher than $1-3 per coin for the choicest examples.

Archived