CoinPeople.com

A Cashless Society

jlueke

I actually use cash for most purchases. My big payments are done by automatic drafts from my accounts but everything else including gas and food is strictly a cash deal.

I am leaning more and more for cash--Too much cyber theft, Big Brother Watching, 1984, and the list goes on.

I don't think i could get into credit card collecting anyway (cardmismatics?).

The next step after a cashless system is the bar code on your forehead!

I like to use a good deal of cash as well though I suspect the bar code will be coming. I don't think it'll be on your person but a chip with a signal that the store registers and automatically deducts for anything you have in your cart and on your person. They'll probably charge us for the convenience. Though given that we still have the one cent piece it may take some time in the USA.

I just stopped for gas, so I can certainly attest that I'm living in a cashless society!

But filling the gas tank is such a convenient way to double the value of your car.

I like cash for many transactions as well. I am not fond of things like the Chase "blink" system; it's too easy for someone to steal the card and just use it all over the place. Sure if you report it stolen, you get the money back but _someone_ ends up paying the cost of the fraudulently purchased (i.e., stolen) items and that will eventually be passed along in either card interest rates, service fees, or merchandise costs.

I confess that I use plastic almost exclusively. My card has no fees(for me) yet gives me insurance against breakage or loss for 90 days from purchase, & also doubles the manufacturers warranty up to an extra year on electronics, cameras etc, plus I earn points for each dollar spent which I can use in my local foodstore. I always clear the balance each month so incur no interest payments.

Spending cash just costs me money, I try to avoid completely!

I do both. I love spending dollar coins and half dollars (when I can get them), as well as two dollar bills. It's a lot easier to handle utility payments and eBay goodies electronically, though.

While I don't go quite so far as bar-coding, I do agree that I feel safer using cash. At least doing that doesn't inform websites how best to piss me off by shoving more ads that I don't want in my face.

To me if we became cashless, first thing would happen would be processing costs would probably be raised. Simple stuff like your kid wants to go to the corner store to get some gum or whatever. Great he has to have a card. Even with some kind of tap transfer ability it would still be a pain and could be abused or goofed up.

Cash, if lost or stolen, gone. Plastic you inform the card company & they cancel the card.

Cash needs to be transported by armed guards in a truck. Plastic no.

Gas stations, small stores often robbed of cash by armed villans.

Children can have their pocket money extorted by bullies, also you have no idea what your child spends their cash on. Plastic, yes

The cash you spend in a month is not trackable unless you keep notes. Plastic sends you a list of how you spent your money.

If business goes cashless there should be savings to be had. Time saved counting change, both customer & teller, no cash to be sent to bank etc, no losses from till, no unproductive cash kept in all of a companies stores, self-checkout.

As to having targeted ads on your computer based on your plastic use, use an ad blocker. Or just be grateful the ads are targeted at what you buy or do etc & not total random ads with no interest to you at all.

I went back to writing checks because some online bill pay processes started charging and two companies made a mess out of the process. I'm thinking for low end wealth transfer cash and checks will stay around but it will be the minority of transactions.

Archived