CoinPeople.com

5 kopek 1779 EM

sigistenz

5kop1779emveryoldeagle.jpg

This eBay coin is pretty worn but it deserves a 2nd glance. It shows the old eagle of the 1768-1778 type - a rare die combination. Ilyin-Tolstoy in his time valued it 3 rub. (same as for example 5kop1761MM, 5kop1768MM, Sib.10kop1766--, Sib.10kop1767--).

Unfortunately I was not the only watcher to note, so it went up to $250 :shock:

Sigi

See the eBay link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/320857240055

-

Good catch, Sigi! :art:

Were these ever overstruck? I'm not sure why, but it has that "overstruck look" about it... :confus: ... particularly the edge (it seems like it had perhaps been done twice -- look towards the lower half of the picture).

Good catch, Sigi! :art:

Were these ever overstruck? I'm not sure why, but it has that "overstruck look" about it... :confus: ... particularly the edge (it seems like it had perhaps been done twice -- look towards the lower half of the picture).

Hi Bob, good to hear from you again. The coin is not an overstrike. EM did in fact overstrike some of the 1762 10 kopek, but only in 1763, 1764, 1765 and 1767. No later dates are known. Of course, with Russian coins there is never an absolute certainty but this coin is not an overstrike. As to the edge it must be said that less care was taken with copper coins. The planchets were run through primitive rimming machines without much precision. The planchets were to do one turn for the rim all around. If the turn was slightly exceeded, a portion of the edge was rimmed twice. Check your piatki, you'll find that it happened quite often. Happy hunting, Sigi

I got this same coin, in a little worse condition, for less than $60.

Hey Joe, thanks for your comment. Could you show pictures of both sides of your coin? :bhyper:

Sigi

Congrats Sigi! I was wandering who won this coin, but I thought you already had one of these. :confus:

No, not exactly this type. The 1778 and 1779 variants is becoming an obsession. I am thinking of showing a comparison of my 4 pairs of the 2 dates.

Sigi

Hi Joe,

We tend to get excited here about die varieties so when you said you "got this same coin", to us that means same date, same rare die pairing etc. That's why Sigi wanted to see it. A misunderstanding, I guess. Hope you enjoy your coin :art:

Steve

Hi Joe,

We tend to get excited here about die varieties so when you said you "got this same coin", to us that means same date, same rare die pairing etc. That's why Sigi wanted to see it. A misunderstanding, I guess. Hope you enjoy your coin :art:

Steve

Darn. Sorry about the confusion!

Hello everybody, yes, I expected to see another 1779 but no problem. Joe, I specialize in the large 5 kopeks like yours by date, mint AND their variants :crazy: As to 1779 EM there are quite some eagle variants - that's what it was about. Thank you for the picture of your 1785 and don't go away. Sigi

Archived