CoinPeople.com

Russio-Polish coinage

DAJ

Hi everyone -

I have a couple of 5 zlotych coins from the early 1830s and what is remarkable about them is that even though mine are of very low quality, it seems like Russio-Polish coins of that vintage have weak strikes. This is always a little disappointing.

But so many just did not seem to wear well. Gold coins and 10 zlotych coins seem to be in pretty high demand. But the gold at the higher grades have weaker images.

It is my understanding that these were minted in Warsaw and later, Moscow, as well.

It is my understanding as well that these coins accepted by Russian collectors becaue of their mixed lineage.

It seems that after this period, the quality of strikes seems to be good, more like Russian coins. Does this have to do with the Polish uprising in the early '30s? Maybe it has to do with the image of Alexander I? My 1836 10 zlotych seems a bit better.

Comments, expeiences, and coins images to share? Thanks much. Best - DAJ

Hi everyone -

I have a couple of 5 zlotych coins from the early 1830s and what is remarkable about them is that even though mine are of very low quality, it seems like Russio-Polish coins of that vintage have weak strikes. This is always a little disappointing.

But so many just did not seem to wear well. Gold coins and 10 zlotych coins seem to be in pretty high demand. But the gold at the higher grades have weaker images.

It is my understanding that these were minted in Warsaw and later, Moscow, as well.

It is my understanding as well that these coins accepted by Russian collectors becaue of their mixed lineage.

It seems that after this period, the quality of strikes seems to be good, more like Russian coins. Does this have to do with the Polish uprising in the early '30s? Maybe it has to do with the image of Alexander I? My 1836 10 zlotych seems a bit better.

Comments, expeiences, and coins images to share? Thanks much. Best - DAJ

I don't know anything about the quality of coins minted in Poland at that time, but according to R.W. Julian, Russian coins struck in Russia after 1843 or so were much better in quality due to improvements in the machinery at the Russian mints. You can see that on silver rouble coins very easily; many are even prooflike, but not actually proofs. This is probably related to the Industrial Revolution which must have happened a little later in Russia than in the rest of Europe.

As I understand it, it was a new set of presses, they switched to knuckle presses.

Apparently a Russian (Nevidomskiy?) invented that type of press, but he was turned down when he tried to sell them to the St. Petersburg mint. When some French company tried a couple of years later, the mint jumped at the opportunity.

Archived