CoinPeople.com

Territories which are issuing their own currency

Congo

Hi,

I have a question about territories which are issuing their own currency and which are legal thender in those areas. (not fantasy issues like Antartic, Artic, Easter Islands, Kerguelen Islands...).

So this is what I've found so far:

Aruba

Bermuda

Cayman Islands

Cook Islands

Faeroe Islands

Falkland Islands

Gibraltar

Guernsey

Hong Kong

Isle of Man

Jersey

Macau

Netherlands Antilles

Northern Ireland

Scotland

Somaliland

Taiwan

Tatarstan

Transnistria

Have I missed something, or don't some of these belong here?

Thank you

Well, I was informed by some Russian numismatists, that Tatarstan had never a currency of its own. I know there are three types of "notes" listed in the

Standard Catalog or World Paper Money", but these "notes" -so I was told- were never used as currency.

The first series was called "rouble control issue". They are large sheets with a lot of cupons.

The second issue is called "privatization check issue". They equally had cupons and were issued together with a "privatization book".

The third issue is called "currency check issue". These "notes" do not even bear a denomination.

I was told that you could not buy anything in the shops with this kind of "money".

Some Russian dealers who frequently come to Europe (e.g. to the Valkenburg paper money shows) at first sold these notes in bundles, at really cheap

prices. I bought for instance one bundle of 100 pieces of P.8 for about 13 US $ (=10 Euros) and -at the time- was told these are no real banknotes. But now, every Russian dealer having Krause's "World Paper Money Catalog" with prices of 20 US $ each and more, the same Russian dealers sell at 3-4 US $ each and tell us these notes were real banknotes...

The exact function of these "notes" I do not know. But paper money issued in sheets with cupons or not showing any denomination cannot be real money...

Erwin

Politically...

Scotland and N. Ireland may beg to differ on whether or not they're territories, though I do understand your point of them having seperate note issuers. But is that any different from the Eurozone (and several other currency unions) where the serial number is coded to identify country of origin/issue, but with one united design set?

Taiwan is essentially a seperate state (I view it and China as being two parties in an unconcluded civil war, just like the two Koreas)

Somaliland, like Taiwan is also pretty much a de facto state.

Additions...

Bahamas

French Pacific (e.g. Polynesia)

Politically...

Scotland and N. Ireland may beg to differ on whether or not they're territories, though I do understand your point of them having seperate note issuers. But is that any different from the Eurozone (and several other currency unions) where the serial number is coded to identify country of origin/issue, but with one united design set?

Taiwan is essentially a seperate state (I view it and China as being two parties in an unconcluded civil war, just like the two Koreas)

Somaliland, like Taiwan is also pretty much a de facto state.

Additions...

Bahamas

French Pacific (e.g. Polynesia)

Bahamas is Independent

not a territory

Curacao and Saint MArtin are expected to get new currency this year

Taiwan is know as Chinese Taipei

• 2 weeks later...

Aruba - Netherlands crown dependency

Bermuda - British possession

Cayman Islands - British

Cook Islands - New Zealand administered, don't think they issue currency anymore and now use NZ $ again

Faeroe Islands - Danish possession

Falkland Islands - British crown colony

Gibraltar - British dependency

Guernsey - British, but otherwise self governing.

Hong Kong - Chinese administered and some self government.

Isle of Man - British, but otherwise self governing.

Jersey - British, but otherwise self governing.

Macau - Chinese administration with very limited self government.

Netherlands Antilles - Maybe becoming a new political unit in union with Netherlands

Northern Ireland - part of the United Kingdom, really a country.

Scotland - part of the United Kingdom, but gaining more and more self determination.

Somaliland - unrecognized state that split off from Somalia and or Puntland.

Taiwan - defacto independent state that charts a course claiming government of all of China.

Tatarstan - never independent, but a autonomous republic of the Russian Federation and no claims to real self government.

Transnistria - unrecognized but by several other former USSR breakaway states like S. Ossetiya and Abkhaziya - it is a real throwback place, like 1950's era USSR that actually was sort of scary to travel through(albeit illegally!) But they do have their own paper money and coins that the former really is used, but the coins not so much because of inflation.

Archived