CoinPeople.com

Circulating Euros - €

Art1.2

I'm just wondering if anyone is collecting the circulation strike Euro coins and if so what form that collection is taking. Do you collect from every country, every year, every mint, whatever?

My collection contains only those Euros found in auction lots purchased locally.

I only keep those that are in MS condition no matter what denomination, year, or country of origin.

I don't purchase Euros by themselves. I might if a really snappy design comes along.

During the several months after they came out, I successfully collected a set from each of the 12 countries, by trading with collectors in Europe. I recall my excitment in receiving a German set in the mail on Dec. 29 (some countries had released coin packs a bit early so people could get a feel for the new coinage). I haven't added to it, but it's one part of my collection that I'm the most happy about, since each set found its own journey to me, without having passed through dealers.

• 11 months later...

I collect mint sets from The Netherlands, by year.

Furthermore, I try to get complete sets of each Euro issuing country, mostly through finding them in change. I'm looking for UNC, but occasionaly I first find a lower grade that I keep as hole filler, until a better grade comes by.

Just like CCG, In the beginning of the euro era, I also traded many coins with fellow collectors in various countries.

In the past I also collected by mint mark or minor design changes (e.g. Belgium, has changed the nation side slightly adn the european side has changed as well, when new countriess started issuing euro coins), but I gave that up, I only go for one nice set for each country, unless a country decides to do a significant redesign, e.g. becasue of a change of ruler (as we will expeirence this year and Vatican City hasa a couple of years ago).

Do the coins from Vatican City and Monaco actually circulate or are they just collector sets?

I think they're mainly collector sets.

I do however have one Monaco 1 Euro coin (my only monaco coin actually) that I got from an italian person whom I met on a conference in Italy, who received it in change. That was back in 2003 or 2004. So some must have circulated.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a small collection of about 200 circulating Euro couns from different countries and years.

In addition to circulating coins I also collect Silver and Niob coins from Austria. For me the Austrian 5 EUR/10EUR/20EUR/25EUR are some of the most beautiful coins in the world.

I have a small collection of about 200 circulating Euro couns from different countries and years.

In addition to circulating coins I also collect Silver and Niob coins from Austria. For me the Austrian 5 EUR/10EUR/20EUR/25EUR are some of the most beautiful coins in the world.

I have to agree on the Austrian coins being quite attractive. I used to have a number of their silver issues in my collection.

I want to do the niobium 25 euro collection, it's nice design and I really like the colors.

• 1 month later...

Do the coins from Vatican City and Monaco actually circulate or are they just collector sets?

I saw just 3 Monaco, 2 San Marino and 2 Vaticane coins circulating. Just a mintage's little portion is actually circulating, even if EU is now trying to force these countries to let half or more of the whole mintage circulate, but it's a hard struggle...