CoinPeople.com

Ebay listings that irritates you

veldpond1902

I'm afraid many here are missing the point. Of course in this instance it may not be true, but if you ever study advertising, you would have learned that the most important thing in that buisness is getting attention and then next, retention of that item. If you watch TV, listen to the Radio, read newspapers, etc you would have been exposed to numerous variations in advertising. ONE very, very sort of advertising is to irritate people. Yes sounds contraversial but oddly enough it works and works well. Wrong words, wrong sentences, wrong information and guess what? You remember that add and you remember that item. Now your in a store and looking for an item similar to that irritating add. Most end up buying the one advertised since they remember that item and have no idea of others.

ebay is sort of an advertising challenge to those with such backgrounds so they may well make ofvious errors to get your atention. Note how the one being discussed here would probably have gone almost unnoticed but now it is getting a massive amount of attention.

Maybe I need something to get more attention on my ebay auctions. The number of bidders and watchers have been quite disappointing.

I'm afraid many here are missing the point. Of course in this instance it may not be true, but if you ever study advertising, you would have learned that the most important thing in that buisness is getting attention and then next, retention of that item. If you watch TV, listen to the Radio, read newspapers, etc you would have been exposed to numerous variations in advertising. ONE very, very sort of advertising is to irritate people. Yes sounds contraversial but oddly enough it works and works well. Wrong words, wrong sentences, wrong information and guess what? You remember that add and you remember that item. Now your in a store and looking for an item similar to that irritating add. Most end up buying the one advertised since they remember that item and have no idea of others.

ebay is sort of an advertising challenge to those with such backgrounds so they may well make ofvious errors to get your atention. Note how the one being discussed here would probably have gone almost unnoticed but now it is getting a massive amount of attention.

It's kind of a double-edged sword. There was an ad about ten years ago that I still laugh about because of the single line "Call before midnight tonight and receive with your order a string of genuine faux pearls!" I can just see someone wearing them and proudly saying something like "Oh, do you like them? They're faux, you know..." and honestly believing they came out of some kind of rare French oyster.

But I coudn't begin to tell you what the commercial was actually about, so the commercial failed as a way of getting me to remember the product. I was overwhelmed by the audacity of explicitly telling people they'd get a string of cheap fake pearls in such a way that many people would think they were getting real pearls. They're "genuine", after all. One wonders what they would have sent if they were imitation faux pearls...

In any case, there's a difference between attention-grabbing, plain ignorance, and outright fraud. If there's any gray room that allows for the first two to explain the post, I know I wouldn't pull the trigger on the 'report this item' button. Mostly, I'm concerned when the photo does not justify the terms used, particularly when very specific terms of art are used. Even wiggly words like 'BU' and 'Gem' still carry some particular kind of meaning. You and I might disagree as to what we'd consider a BU coin -- I might use a definition as simple as 'Jeez, that's a nice coin, not a mark on it and plenty of lustre!' and you might define it more specifically as 'at least MS66 with these characteristics...'.

Both of us will probably agree that a coin with a visible gouge might well be uncirculated, but that it's not what we'd call BU.

That's the sort of thing I'm talking about. There's no way to judge 'very nice' and 'nice condition' and 'RARE!!1!!!!1!', but some things are just obviously false just on the face of what's there.

What irritates me is "So Called Half Dollars" in the "So Called Dollar" category. Or some other lame token listed as a "So Called Dollar".

If its round and made of metal it must be a "So Called Dollar", and you know then it must be Ultra Rare and very valuable. The other item is the "Pure Gold" clad ingots---what a load of manure being sold there. Ebay is a great place to turn a Pigs Ear into a Silk Purse!

Archived