CoinPeople.com

Happy Valentines Day

constanius

So confused...

Is there Valentine's Day on the 14th in other nations?

Just for you TDP http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valentine's_Day

Valentine's Day is mentioned ruefully by Ophelia in Hamlet (1600–1601)

To-morrow is Saint Valentine's day,

All in the morning betime,

And I a maid at your window,

To be your Valentine.

Then up he rose, and donn'd his clothes,

And dupp'd the chamber-door;

Let in the maid, that out a maid

Never departed more.

—William Shakespeare, Hamlet, Act IV, Scene 5

PS a virgin was called a maid. So "Let in the maid, that out a maid Never departed more" means a girl went in the chamber as a virgin....but never came out as a virgin. I hope I don't have to explain what happened :shock:

Being new, and this being first post wanted to share a little more about Valentine's day. There are a couple of legends about Valentines day, but the one I like dates back to Rome 268 A.D. with Emperor Claudius II when he decided to stop all marriages within the military. Seems the wives did not like ideal of husbands being gone for long periods of time, and might not even return.

A priest in Rome, named Saint Valentine and with his friend Saint Marius started to marriages for the young couples in secret. They were caught by Claudius and Valentine thrown in jail, waiting to be beaten to death and then beheaded. Story has it that Valentine fell in love with a young girl who visited him in jail, story has it that she was the jailor's daughter. Before he died, 14th February 269 A.D. or there about he wrote the young lady a letter and signed it From Your Valentine. In 496 A.D. Pope Gelasius set aside 14 February to honor Saint Valentine.

There are a few more great legends about Valentines day and what it means. So, to all Happy Valentines Day. :)

Archived