CoinPeople.com

1965 British East Caribbean 10c--contemporary counterfeit

KurtS

This is a coin I found in a dealer's junk bin. Obviously a fake, it's intrigued me why this was made. Of little collector value, I can only guess it was intended to be used in commerce. The genuine coin is EAST CARIBBEAN STATES 10 Cents KM# 5 At only 1.52 grams, it's noticeably under the official 2.6 gr weight. The casting seam is very obvious too. Plating is flaking off, revealing a darker metal underneath.

4296086657_1d5bdeeda3_b.jpg

Probably meant for the tourist trade. I can't see them getting away with passing them to locals.

Very nice coin to have in your collection.

Nice photo of the edge showing the mold marks retained from the casting process.

Nice reference piece!

Passing off on tourists? Really? Why? When? Back in 1965 or recently?

How much the coin was worth back in 1965? Was it worth faking it then?

Even recently there were counterfeits of US dimes.

Passing off on tourists? Really? Why? When? Back in 1965 or recently?

How much the coin was worth back in 1965? Was it worth faking it then?

The tourist thing is just a guess. In the smaller communities represented by most of the Carribean counterfeiting and preying on your neighbors would probably not have been very healthy. Especially assuming this was a "contemporary" counterfeit. But getting an extra 8 or so cents on a bunch of tourist transactions wouldn't have wrankled anyone too much but would have been nicely profitable for the local merchant folks. This is of course purely my speculation for which I know of no proof.

Here is a WAG---Could be a cheap reproduction/copy used for a toy. I know at Disneyland they used to have a pirates booty at the gift shop near the Pirates of the Caribbean. Back in the day they had reproduction medal coins and or make believe pieces of eight in a bag or little treasure chest that the kids could buy and play pirates. Maybe this cast coin was used along the same lines and the "copy" wasn't required by that country or just plain left off. Just a thought

Interesting discussion here--I did not expect as much for this thing. :)

Regarding toy coins made by companies, those I've seen are usually not very faithful reproductions; they are deliberately different in size/design.

There's a reason for that--to ensure they cannot be passed as money, so a legal problem does not follow them back to the company making them.

Unless you're a shady company distributing your fakes on eBay, companies would normally avoid being charged with counterfeiting, even minor coins like these.

Just my take from working on products that carry copyrights and trademarks.

Archived