CoinPeople.com

How Could This Happen?!

alexbq2

This was posted on one of Russian coin forums, I hope that topic starter will not mind me sharing his images.

Look at the coin below. See the mirror images of the flip side ghosting on both obverse and reverse. This looks exactly like a die clash, but the 'foreign elements' are not concave! It looks like there is a mirrored coin imprint on both dies. And this is not the only coin with this type of error - http://coins.su/forum/index.php?showtopic=80670&st=0. Any ideas?

785a.jpg779f.jpg

Perhaps the coin was struck then flipped over & struck again, leaving traces of the first strike(obverse) under the second strike(reverse) & visa versa. Or maybe the planchet was of a recalled worn coin and the reverse of it was struck by the obverse die etc.

Edit: Looking & reading again, "the mirror image" does rule out both my suggestions.

Mirror image also kills the theory of an old die being reused. somehow this is a result of die clashing. I do not know how it could happen, because the details are not concave, however, the only possible explanation of a mirror image design on the die would be a result of clashed dies. But, why the details on the coin are not concave, I do not know...

Here's a theory proposed on the Russian forum. Dies were damaged through a die clash, then repaired by filing of convex imprints "foreign elements", this removed some of the tempered hard steel from the top layer specifically in the pattern of the die clash damage. The dies kept being used, and the softer parts of the die got hammered inwards a bit forming a concave pattern on the die, which started striking these mirrored convex elements onto the coins.

Does that hold water from the metallurgic and minting perspective?

Look at the coin below. See the mirror images of the flip side ghosting on both obverse and reverse. This looks exactly like a die clash, but the 'foreign elements' are not concave! It looks like there is a mirrored coin imprint on both dies. And this is not the only coin with this type of error - http://coins.su/foru...pic=80670&st=0. Any ideas?

I must have misunderstood something, but the ghost imprint of a clash should be convex, not concave, I think? (i.e. concave = depressed, convex = raised). Or did you mean something else by concave?

When you grind off the field (cannot file it off), you take off a lot of design elements. In reality, you may have to redo the whole die, if you loose enough. That is why it was not done and we see all those traces of die clashes. On the other hand, even if you do it, why would it create this effect?

When you grind off the field (cannot file it off), you take off a lot of design elements. In reality, you may have to redo the whole die, if you loose enough. That is why it was not done and we see all those traces of die clashes. On the other hand, even if you do it, why would it create this effect?

Because, the theory goes, inadvertently when you file off the hardened surface of the die in the removal of the convex impression left by the die clash you leave that exact area softened & each time the die then strikes another planchet the area which has had the hardened surface removed becomes minutely more & more depressed. So what was the convex impression, because of the removal of the hardened layer of the die, becomes a depressed concave impression.

Archived