CoinPeople.com

Coin hobby and vacations

Sir Sisu

I find that my plans for small vacations/getaways are often influenced by what they offer me in terms of coin/banknote/etc collecting. The obvious for me (being in Europe) is that I prefer to take a weekend trip to neighboring countries because of the different currencies used. Planning these trips (even with domestic trips), coins often play a roll; are there coin shops to visit? Museums? Banks? I even find myself thinking about the possibility of finding different coins circulating rather than the same old coins of my home city! :ninja:

Do you actively think about coins/notes when you are on an excursion, or does vacation mean "vacation from the hobby" as well? I find that I am even more active thinking about coins when away (except perhaps when I go to the cabin/woods) from home.

Never really been on a vacation just for a hobby. Mostly go with the family just to get away from school and work. If I find a shop or something, like I did in Gatlinburg, you better believe I'll take a look.

Well i haven't been on holiday since the trip to Spain in 1992, but i did bring some of the coins back with me and i've still got them. Amusingly they are now some of the only coins i've got left from my 1990s acquisitions. I would keep some of the currency and take it back as a momento.

My parents are going to Ireland in three weeks time and next year they're going to Canada (i was invited to go along on both trips expenses fully paid by my parents, but i don't do aeroplanes, if they weren't going by ship then i wasn't going). I expect they'll bring some currency back for me.

When I go on vacation to a place where they have other coins circulation than where I am, I have a list with me of the coins I already have from that place and I will check my change to see if I have hole fillers.

If I get the opportunity to visit a shop, I will definitely do so.

Well the last 2 years I've been planning a vacation to take in the FUN show here in Florida. I have a buddy of my come down(coin nut also), and we hit the show and then have a week of theme parks and such.

Ætheling: Just a thought, reconsider the freebie to Canada, i hate flying too, but what I do is get so loaded(drunk) before take off I can't even remember to be scared to death. Note: only works on direct flights under 4 hours.

I rarely plan a vacation around the hobby, in fact I've been to San Fran, Denver and Philly many time and never been to the mint. Though I have seen the NNC at the Smithsonian, and in international travel I look out for things of interest. When I was in Rome in 1995, I stopped in one of the many open air markets and stopped at a coin booth and bought an 1867 5 Franc coin which I thought was cool since it was exactly the size of a silver dollar. I have it as a place holder in my Morgan album for a coin I have in slab. I think it was only about 10,000 or 15,000 lira, so not too expensive. When I go to small towns I sometimes look at flea markets or antique stores but rarely find anyting worth buying.

I've planned vacations around major numismatic events. I once attended the Memphis paper show in early June, then took a leisurely camping trip back across Arkansas for a week before returning to Texas.

I'm sure that one could always use the i-net to look up shows or shops to attend along one's itenerary...

Do you actively think about coins/notes when you are on an excursion, or does vacation mean "vacation from the hobby" as well? I find that I am even more active thinking about coins when away (except perhaps when I go to the cabin/woods) from home.

I've planned quite a few vacations around coins. When I was single the summer ANA city would always receive a visit from me. I think my wife was six months pregnant with our first child at the Spring show in Jacksonville.

I met my sister in NYC during the ANA there.

Chicago is an easy sell to my wife (and someplace we can get to in a car).

I figure a major coin show is as good a reason as any to visit a city. Though flying with four people doesn't warrant the expense. So, the Chicago international is more like a long weekend get away.

I will likely be in Germany for two weeks in October, I won't stop at Coinex but if I see any decent shows I might go. I do usually at least find a shop and buy a proof set or something similar.

Ætheling: Just a thought, reconsider the freebie to Canada, i hate flying too, but what I do is get so loaded(drunk) before take off I can't even remember to be scared to death. Note: only works on direct flights under 4 hours.

Too late now anyway it's fully booked. I'm still glad i'm not going, even though it is a cruise (which is what i always wanted to go on, i like ships) but i simply will not fly, end of.

Canada wouldn't have been my choice of destination anyhow, Venice or Rome then i would have been much more upset about not going. As you can see i would plan holidays for the historic connections. Rome would be a definate... one day i'll go there even if it is by coach the whole way. Egypt fascinates me but it's too far and too bloody hot.

Switzerland i'd go for the weather, a bit cooler. :ninja:

I will likely be in Germany for two weeks in October, I won't stop at Coinex but if I see any decent shows I might go.

In terms of coin shows, the next bigger ones are the Philatelia+MünzExpo (Cologne, 22-24 Sep) and then of course the World Money Fair (Berlin, 3-5 Feb). But I suppose there are some others in between :-)

One time we planned a trip to Innsbruck (AT) which would have included a side trip to Hall and its old mint. Well, we had to cancel the entire trip anyway. Apart from that, I have not planned a vacation based on numismatic considerations. If we go to some place, and a coin related attraction is within reach, however ... :ninja:

Christian

When I traveled to London earlier this year rather then buy some T-shirt to commemorate my visit I purchased a 2005 British proof set.

One of many ways to commemorate a visit to London i suppose, many people buy those models they sell; Black cabs (Austin FX4s), Routemasters or postboxes or something. I know i've come back with those before! :ninja:

In terms of coin shows, the next bigger ones are the Philatelia+MünzExpo (Cologne, 22-24 Sep) and then of course the World Money Fair (Berlin, 3-5 Feb). But I suppose there are some others in between :-)

Christian

Berlin in February. That sounds only slightly warmer than it is here. Plus I can go to NY in January.

If the Cologne show was a month later

:ninja:

Ah well, we'll be mostly chatting with the relatives. Since I can't go to Vienna I think Hamburg and Berlin, maybe Aachen this time around.

Archived