CoinPeople.com

Peter III copper coinage type set - finally completed!!!

gxseries

I honestly never thought of the day I would even obtain one of Peter III copper coins because of the scarcity and price, much less obtaining the entire set!

Here are the pictures:

989260.jpg

1001198.jpg

988937.jpg

Peter III copper coinages were scarce for a good reason - Peter III only ruled Russia for about 6 months and due to a copper shortage, all copper coins were ordered to be overstruck to be twice of the face value, i.e. 5 kopek coin as 10 kopek, 2 kopek as 4 kopek and 1 kopek as 2 kopek.

This didn't last too long and in the next year, the coins were ordered to be re-overstruck over the next few years.

This is an example:

983765.jpg

While Catherine II coins that were overstruck over Peter III coins are common, the same cannot be said for Peter III coins that were overstruck over Elizabeth I coins. As Peter III wasn't a popular Tsar, most of his coins if they did circulate were either overstruck or probably forgotten in people's pocket change, only to be discovered years later.

BKB - I probably will have to rob a museum to find them! I would even be happy to find overstruck Catherine II examples of them - don't know when that can happen but you'll never know.

Thanks everyone. The coin edges for all of them are net edge. While the 4 kopek seems to be struck on a fresh planchet, the other two seems to be overstruck. Surprisingly the coins didn't cost a fortune - just very lucky with them.

The overstriking of copper coins to double their value had already been planned under Elizabeth

(there are 1760 and 1761 patterns of the 10 kopek), the reason not being a shortage of copper but a shortage of money -

the need to finance the ongoing 7 years war.

When Elizabeth died in late 1761, her successor Peter III executed the project in 1762.

Sigi

-

Archived