CoinPeople.com

Canadian $1, $2 and $5 notes

Art1.2

I think that I've asked this before and cannot remember the answer or find it with search - so maybe I did not.

Can Canadian $1,$2,$5 notes be used to pay for things from Canada or is there something special that must be done to turn them into US cash or merchandise? These are not pristing valuable or even ebayable notes.

Hi Art.2

The $1 and $2 are not in use anymore, the $5 however is still in use.

As far as I know the $1 and $ 2 dollar notes are still legal tender,

So maybe try converting them it at your bank.

Alan

Notes of the "bird" (1980s/90s) and earlier series are outmoded - they are legal tender but may be rejected in regular commerce.

In the past year or so I've twice had $1 and $2 notes rejected when given out as part of a restaurant tip. In both cases, I remarked that in case the server (or the management) had any concerns, they were part of the tip, not the payment, and both times (different establishments) the followup was that they would not accept them either for payment, nor for a tip. Good thing I wasn't trying to offer diamond rings :lol:

Wow. It's like a foreign country up there. I had no idea the smaller notes were discontinued and even frowned upon.

Its like a foreign country down there too, I tried to spend some $2.00 US bills recently and I was looked at like I was from mars.

You can still spend $1, $2 and $5 dollar bills up here, I have no problem as I have literaly hundreds of them, Canadian currency has not been recalled and are still considered legal tender here, I new a guy once who cut up the dollar sheet of 40 and spent them.....

Its like a foreign country down there too, I tried to spend some $2.00 US bills recently and I was looked at like I was from mars.

You can still spend $1, $2 and $5 dollar bills up here, I have no problem as I have literaly hundreds of them, Canadian currency has not been recalled and are still considered legal tender here, I new a guy once who cut up the dollar sheet of 40 and spent them.....

We Americans aren't known for being edumacated.

I think I'll just ebay the nice ones and use the others as "add-ons" when/if I sell something else that warrants it.

Thanks to everyone for their inputs.

Interestingly, I've yet to have any issues spending US$2s anywhere.

Archived