CoinPeople.com

British Coins - What to look for?

callum72

Hi

I am just starting out with my collection of British Coins, Any suggestions of what is best too look out for?

I am going to try and get proof sets for as many years as i can but would also like to try and improve my collections by trying to trace a few gems but am struggling to find out that much info so far.

any help would be very much appreciated

Cheers

Malcolm

While proof sets are a nice addition to any countries coins, I feel (and others may/will disagree) the classics balance out nicely any collection.

A coin that springs to mind is the 1951 british penny, it can still be had for a reasonable price but not for long methinks because of its low mintage. Just to give you an idea.

Man who eats prunes

Gets good run for his money.

From looking at some British coins, is there a series that catches your fancy more than others. For example I collect everything but I pay particular attention to 6d and 3d pieces. I like the size of the coins and the designs. Others specialize in pennies or in hammered only or a particular monarchs coins. Lots of options.

Let us know what you're leaning toward and maybe we can post some photos or such to help you along.

Hi Art1.2

The ones that are standing out to me at the moment are the commemorative coins, my thinking is i can explain the historical significance to my boy when he grows up and asks about them. also thinking of setting myself the rather large target of getting one of each coin for each year, as far back as i can go, as researching what to look for will be as much fun for me as getting the coins, although i can already feel the need to enhance my fledgling collection with American dollars for some reason.

I have already started finding out where the bring and buy and car boot sales are run in my area and am going to be trying to find some coins that maybe the sellers do not know what they have, (me and pretty much everyone else i think) but if you don't look you don't get.

Also making to my first visit to the Edinburgh Coin Shop tomorrow as hoping to get some really good literature to help me define where i should take my collection.

Cheers

Malcolm

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I've collected all the British decimal coinage I have 1971 - 1981 as proof sets and 1982- as Bu. sets what I like about these set is that you get all the coins in a plastic case the proof sets have mintages from 350,000 down to 81,000 for the lowest and some of the Bu. sets have mintages as low as 51,776.

Some people might not realise that many decimal coins over the years have not been released for circulation for example the 1971, 72, 74, 75 50 pence was only issued in proof sets. 1972 copper coins are proof only and the large 10 new pence 1982 - 1992 were only issued in sets there are many more coins that were not issued for circulation and the early proof sets and brilliant uncirculated sets can be bought quite cheaply.

If you need a good book for collecting decimal coinage I would recommend "Check your change." by Chris Perkins. I found it to be a good guide and check list.

Hope I've give you some good collecting ideas.