CoinPeople.com

Hong Kong / Victoria coins

buzkirk

Just where do you think this auction will end up $ ?

I would really like to have these, but at what price ?, do you think they will go for.

I already took a shot at $39.20, and outbid, booked out at around $135.00 (Modern World Coins 1864-1964, 14th ed. 2011)

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=2&pub=5574633083&toolid=10001&campid=5335826004&customid=&ipn=psmain&icep_vectorid=229466&kwid=902099&mtid=824&kw=lg&icep_item=300648002900

Tom

I am going to hazard a guess at about $60.00 but I am not inclined to agree with his grading estimates.

I am somewhat gun shy of Hong Kong coins though due to a purchase of an 1866 silver dollar. turned out to be fake, I will post a pic later.

I dont feel old

I dont feel anthing till noon

thats when its time for my nap

Bob Hope

Should clear $100.

Early large cents in higher grades are tough to get. 50c is also not bad.

IMO (and based on the pictures):

cent: gVF or better - but it's one of those pieces that I'd prefer to grade in person since the flash may make it look better or worse than it is.

5c 1899: AU+, possibly UNC but reverse looks "flat"

5c 1898: EF or better. Unable to determine original luster on obverse due to flash

10c: EF

20c: VF

50c: EF hvy cleaned, net VF

Went past the $100 mark early this morning, seems like a fair bit of interest in these.

But, then again there is alot of interest in most of the Asian market.

Coin World did an article about the Asian market being on the rise for the last 3 years, More money moving into China, plus some of the people that were affected by the Sunami trying to rebuild collections. ( speculation on my part )

Got a day to go, any other guesses as to the final price ?

Tom

Went past the $100 mark early this morning, seems like a fair bit of interest in these.

But, then again there is alot of interest in most of the Asian market.

Coin World did an article about the Asian market being on the rise for the last 3 years, More money moving into China, plus some of the people that were affected by the Sunami trying to rebuild collections. ( speculation on my part )

Mostly the China market, though HK coinage has been overlooked for some time. Japanese market for coins isn't that strong, as many collectors of Asian coinage, in my experience, usually focus on their home country and have only a very limited passing interest in the coinage of neighbouring countries. History probably plays a part here.

Dang, decided to go for it and FAILED, sniped out twice last seconds ! :shock:

Went for $172.61 with 27 bids, I can't seem to get anything off ebay, everything I really want so does everyone else.

I hear people talking about all the great deals they get on ebay, just don't see it happening !

Maybe I'll take a break from collecting for a little while, need to focus on selling other collections off.

Dang, decided to go for it and FAILED, sniped out twice last seconds ! :shock:

Went for $172.61 with 27 bids, I can't seem to get anything off ebay, everything I really want so does everyone else.

I hear people talking about all the great deals they get on ebay, just don't see it happening !

Maybe I'll take a break from collecting for a little while, need to focus on selling other collections off.

Tom,

Good deals on ebay are hard work. They aren't nearly as frequent as folks believe. Great deals are truly rare and fall, most times, to those who have done their homework and spend a lot of time watching and waiting. I think you should try using something like ESnipe on items you're really serious about purchasing. I usually put in a low bid to make it easy to watch and then take my max purchase price, add 10-20% and snipe that puppy. Given that scenario I loose 10 for every one that I win.

Good luck and have fun with it.

When something is "hot" and properly described, deals will be very few and far in between.

Looking for deals often means spending time looking in unidentified or incorrectly described lots.

It's a tradeoff between time spent seeking deals, and money saved. (= earned?)

As it is said in economics, there are no free lunches.

Archived