CoinPeople.com

Imagine that...

PeterShell

Imagine that Warsaw Mint decides to make let's say "Novodel" of 10 zlotych/ 1 1/2 rouble.

Perfect copy with all possible parameters of original coin - weight, alloy, size .. the difference will be small mark somwhere on the coin ..

How much would you pay for this ?

What year would you prefer?

I hate copies also .. but it could be treated almost as Novodel... Same Mint, same parameters

and I think that they have original dices. Not sure but I saw them in their show room ...

So +10% to silver ? I think that even + 100% to silver would be fair in this case. There will be much more people willing to pay 80 -100 USD for this numismat than those who are able to pay UNC original for 800 - 1000 USD or more ..

On some forum, I have read a collection of threads dealing with a similar issue. A collector in Germany had learned that a team of historical enthusiasts in some German town has replicated a fully functional 18th century screw press.

This person, is apparently very hands on. I do not not how, but he made excellent die copies for the (I think) Paul's narrow cypher 2 kopeeks, I think he might have made other denominations as well. The difference was that he embedded 2010 or 2011 into the line above the original date.

So with these dies and the equipment build in that city he conducted a series of experiments. Not sure how many "coins" he minted, but he offered to auction some off to the members of that forum. I think he started them at some trivial amount, but surprisingly the demand was quite strong and the competition fierce. I don't recall exactly, but I think that the end price was well over $100 per coin.

Based on this I would think that if Warsaw mint makes a limited amount of really good replicas, I would expect that $80-$100 per coin would be an attainable price.

I hate copies also .. but it could be treated almost as Novodel... Same Mint, same parameters

and I think that they have original dices. Not sure but I saw them in their show room ...

So +10% to silver ? I think that even + 100% to silver would be fair in this case. There will be much more people willing to pay 80 -100 USD for this numismat than those who are able to pay UNC original for 800 - 1000 USD or more ..

I will not argue what is fair. The question was as to my subjective opinion. I view such artifacts as silver bars, nothing more. It is not a Novodel. Doubt anyone would be silly enough to use original dies, for those will come apart pretty fast.

I would rather save money and pay $800- to $1000 for an original coin, than pay $100 for a replica. Again, this is very subjective. Some people buy cheap fakes to plug holes in the collection where an impossible-to-find coin should be. I am not one of these guys, that is all.

The Warsaw mint is selling these? This is not a hypothetical question?

Oh..It is hypothetical Steve :yes:

Just was thinking about that and realized that somehow (although I don't buy copies - and fully agree with BKB)

I'm able to consider such purchase... No Warsaw Mint is not selling something like that..

But who knows ..maybe in the future...

I personally did buy the cupro-nickel restrike of the 25 ruble gold piece (or was it the 37 1/2? can't remember)... just so I could show people what the coin looked like. It was an obvious non-genuine article, however, between it being obviously in the wrong metal AND having the Р for replica. Such _obvious_ restrikes that nevertheless show the original design can be educational; it's similar to "specimen" banknotes. The mere existence of the restrike raised a red flag, however, because it became clear that the original hub existed somewhere and that it was possible for someone to make restrikes _not_ labeled as such.

...restrike of the 25 ruble gold piece (or was it the 37 1/2? can't remember)... just so I could show people what the coin looked like. It was an obvious non-genuine article, however, between it being obviously in the wrong metal AND having the Р for replica.

It is 37 1/2.

• 2 weeks later...

Only Proofs. Did not see MS coins bring much over $1,000.

It is not true.

ANY, even most common (e.g.,as 1835НГ), 10 zloty / 1 1/2 rouble in MS are well over $2,000.

MANY (as 1838НГ, 1838MW, 1839НГ, 1840НГ, 1841НГ, etc.) are rare or very rare in any condition, and in MS may be worth $ 50K+.

five variets of family rubles coming up at Kunker in few days

Archived