CoinPeople.com

What was your best bargain to date?

bobh

I will kick this off with these pictures. I kept a photo of the holder this coin was in when I bought it at a coin show in Basel several years ago ... price is in Swiss Francs, at the time CHF 20 was about $17:

IHC_1872_obv.thumb.jpgIHC_1872_rev.thumb.jpgIndian_Cent_1872_holder.thumb.jpg

:hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

Wonderful bargain Bob and a great coin. I don't really have anything that fits this catagory. Maybe I need to change my means of purchasing.

Wonderful bargain Bob and a great coin. I don't really have anything that fits this catagory. Maybe I need to change my means of purchasing.

Thanks, Art. I really think it was just a fluke of luck. That dealer certainly didn't put out as much money for the coin as he sold it for, so I didn't have any compunctions about picking it up at the price marked.

What I find amusing is that the seller knew that it was a rare coin ("selten" in German = scarce, or seldom encountered), yet didn't know what its true value was (or just didn't bother to look for it).

Fly overseas and find a clueless dealer. Hmm... Might not be all that cost effective.

I do remember seeing what to me was pocket change in a dealer's junk tray in the Netherlands, mixed in with a bunch of stuff we would see in such a tray here. It was one of those slightly surprising "oh, of course this would happen here!" moments you sometimes get when traveling. There was no way I'd pay the equivalent of a dime or quarter for a perfectly ordinary nickel. I didn't _have_ any American coins with me at the time or I might have tried to sell them to him to double my money.

I don't have pics with me, but I bought a barber dime with a die variety that is supposedly worth 5 times what I paid. But who is going to buy that?

You... :lol:

But seriously, a good find, George! :bthumbsup:

I bought an unknown hammered coin on eBay for little over £1 - it is a unique type of Henry I, worth about 250 times what I paid.

A few coins come to mind. The KINGS of MACEDON. Alexander III ‘the Great’. 336-323 BC. AR Tetradrachm ‘Amphipolis’ mint. Struck under Kassander, circa 316-315 BC. The coin shop had not id'ed the mint and such. It's one of the scarcer types.

Next I guess was the 1762 Catherine II silver Rouble, picked up for silver price when silver was about $4 an ounce. I got it, a 1914 Netherlands nickel, a 1943 silver peso, and a few other coins for $20.

Nice buy on the 1872 cent. I bought a Spanish proclamation piece dated 1789. I didn't know exactly what it was but for $20 I was sure it was a bargain. A year or so later I bought Walter Breens Encyclopedia of US coins. The proclamation piece was listed as being from Florida. I later sold it through a Bowers and Merena auction for $5,000.

Nice buy on the 1872 cent. I bought a Spanish proclamation piece dated 1789. I didn't know exactly what it was but for $20 I was sure it was a bargain. A year or so later I bought Walter Breens Encyclopedia of US coins. The proclamation piece was listed as being from Florida. I later sold it through a Bowers and Merena auction for $5,000.

Wow! Now, THAT is a bargain!!

:shock::swoon::bthumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm very cheap when it comes to coins, so the vast majority of my collection has come from roll hunting.

So, for face value:

1950-D nickel (F-VF)

Several AU '64 Kennedy halves

About 2 silver quarters, 14 silver dimes, and 31 silver nickels (At its peak last April, I had about $350 worth of silver; probably should have sold it on ebay)

Not for face value:

1936 Walker half (F/VF) bought it from a co-worker for $5.00 (which was melt value at the time)

1946-D Philippines 10 centavos (XF/AU) - bought it from a junk bin for $0.25, which was a little bit over silver spot when I bought it.

Mine is maybe an impaired proof like 1834 commemorative ruble. Bought it around 300USD or so but that's a while ago. Not too sure how much that goes for these days but definitely a fair bit of money. Another one is a holed 1798 polupolutinnik - mere 1 dollar but it's near impossible to replace it within a reasonable price!

I went to a general auction in 2010 there was a packet of coins i bought it for R300 (£23) and between two crowns was a 1892 Gold south african Pond in EF condition that i later sold for R11000 (£850) thats my biggest bargain Buy.

He's not saying.

I bought six French medals in a lot at a Stacks auction (it seemed a very uninteresting lot, no photo) for about $65. Four or five years later I thought I would sell them on eBay. One medal alone brought in $330; the group of six brought in over $600. I had no idea.

Do coins you bought at a reasonable price at the time, but had shoot way up in market value, count? Or does it have to be super bargain at the time of purchase (or in other words, an item you could have "flipped" immediately)?

A bargain is a bargain ... :)

Now that I think about it, I think my single best deal was this 1942S silver nickel:

981410.jpg

...inasmuch as it cost me 5c -- it came out of a roll in this condition. And while it's not a multi-hundred dollar coin, it's certainly worth more than 5 cents. :)

Archived