CoinPeople.com

The states of Jersey are located between the south coast of the United Kingdom and northern France.

While not part of the United Kingdom the United Kingdom is constitionally responsible for the Island.

In 1640 King Charles the second (for services rendered) gave the Bailiff of Jersey "George Carteret" a piece of land between the Hudson and Deleware Rivers in the Americas which was named New Jersey.

As a Jerseyman now living in Canada I find myself collecting the coins of Jersey and those of my adopted Country.

In future rantings I will endeavor to explain the coins of Jersey from 1813 to the present time.

jersey_1-12th-shilling_1660-1960_02_rev_01.JPG

Nice coin and an interesting bit of history. I look forward to more info and coins from a place I've often heard of but know little about.

Gah, just what I need, another excuse to start getting interested in Channel coinage! :D

Looking forward to this series.

Came across a nice Jersey 1£ note this evening. I'd forgotten that I had it. I think I have a few Jersey coins too -- with my UK stuff probably.

Came across a nice Jersey 1£ note this evening. I'd forgotten that I had it. I think I have a few Jersey coins too -- with my UK stuff probably.

Nice, any chance of a sneak peak, I am always looking to see what is out there. :bthumbsup:

Nice, any chance of a sneak peak, I am always looking to see what is out there. :bthumbsup:

I'll dig the note out and scan it. Coins? It will have to wait until my next trip to the bank. I think they're in with my UK silver.