CoinPeople.com

Curators of the Virtual Coin Museum

thedeadpoint

Curators of the Virtual Coin Museum  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Should we have curators of different topics in the VCM?

• Yes
    • Yes AND I'd be interested in being a curator
    • No
    • No, but I'd be a curator if we end up having them

Hi Coinpeople,

The Virtual Coin Museum here is a fantastic resource that some of our members (Art/Stujoe, primarily :clapping: ) have put a LOT of hours in. However, those members may not be an expert in each and every coin in the museum. Chances are high that you are an expert in at least one of the museum "exhibits."

I propose that we allow some of our members to become the curator of an exhibit they are an expert on. I think this will let those who already have a wealth of knowledge (and maybe even gorgeous pictures) expand upon the fantastic exhibits already made. For example, I might be a bigger fan of Barber Dimes, Peace Dollars, and Liberty Nickels than most people in this forum. I'd be happy to share pictures about the patterns for each series, die varieties, resources I've found helpful, etc. Maybe jtryka would like to share his pics and knowledge on Bust Halves. Mark Stilson may want to curate the Morgan Dollar forum and share some of the key VAMs he has.

Do you think we should open the Virtual Coin Museum to a dozen curators or so?

Do you consider yourself an expert on one of the coins in the museum? If so, would you be willing to spend a few hours throughout the year updating the posts, adding pics, answering collectors?

Please tell me your feelings by voting in the above poll. Feel free to elaborate below or even tell us which topics you feel comfortable curating or co-curating!

Thank you,

Thedeadpoin

Looks to me that the VCM is all about US coins, and that is probably fine if you are a US coin junky, but speaking for myself I am a Canadian coin collector first with a smattering of US coins as a secondary interest.

My knowledge of US coins is kind of limited so I doubt if I will contribute much.

Good luck tho..

Looks to me that the VCM is all about US coins, and that is probably fine if you are a US coin junky, but speaking for myself I am a Canadian coin collector first with a smattering of US coins as a secondary interest.

My knowledge of US coins is kind of limited so I doubt if I will contribute much.

Good luck tho..

There is a Virtual Coin Museum dedicated to Canadian Coins.

CoinPeople Canadian Virtual Coin Museum

There are other Virtual Coin Museums as well.

World Virtual Museum - breakdown by major areas

Ancient Coin Museum

Virtual Banknote Museum

Russian Virtual Museum

UK Virtual Coin Museum

Exonumia Virtual Museum

Error Coin Virtual Museum

US Coppers Virtual Museum

Finnish Virtual Coin Museum

There's a lot out there and it's a great deal of work trying to keep it updated.

Art has a good point that is the reason I proposed this scenario. He and I are not experts on a lot of non-US things, so we can't represent our fellow members faithfully.

BTW just wondering what responsibilities are you talking about being Curator? You aren't talking mod powers are you? I would not mind writing up or modifying the intro sticky to the Morgan section. And some other work on it.

You're right, Mark. Re: mod powers - I think the most we should extend would be the ability to add/modify posts in their expert thread alone. I have those powers only in the PCI forum but that's because I'm one of the PCI people and deleting/closing posts is a handy skill.

My vision is exactly what you said - interesting write-ups, intros, pics, etc. For example, I would add a post discussing the 1964-D Peace Dollar because that has a significant amount of history to it but it still falls under the Peace Dollar series umbrella. Same for 1894-S dimes. 1913 V Nicks, etc.

I guess I see several posts under one or two threads. The first post would be the intro. The second post may be patterns/design work. A third post may be varieties, etc. That breaks it down nicely into bite-size capsules of information. The advanced collectors may care more about VAMs, so why sift through a big post to read about them. The novice collectors may be intimidated by one single massive post.

If you are looking for someone to help out with Canada and Jersey coins you can put my name down.

:clapping:

If we go through with this, we'll be sure to tap you and other generous volunteers.

Keep coming guys! share your feelings (and experience if you can!). If we go with this, I'll make a list of the "exhibits" next week and we can start assigning duties

I love that there are no 'no' votes of either sort.

Anyway, I don't consider myself knowledgeable enough in any particular area to curate and probably never will be since I have no interest in some of the advanced areas like die varieties and errors, but I will always be happy to toss my two grosze in if it's appropriate. :)

Always ok, ikaros! Perhaps we'll ask around for good pics. For example, if I'm a curator of the Peace Dollar exhibit, I'll set up a mini-contest. People can submit photos of their Peace Dollars and we can vote for the best to represent the series.

Always ok, ikaros! Perhaps we'll ask around for good pics. For example, if I'm a curator of the Peace Dollar exhibit, I'll set up a mini-contest. People can submit photos of their Peace Dollars and we can vote for the best to represent the series.

If nothing else, I can always edit. The hard part there is resisting the urge to rewrite at the same time. :D

Why not get permission to use Omnicoin images? I have lots of hammered on there particularly Plantagenet but including Crusader and other eras

I've done just that whenever possible. I've been updating the Virtual Museums and have asked a number of folks for permission to use their images from omnicoin. Most have said that it was ok and that I could use any images they had on the site.

• 1 month later...

We should probably stick with the format that Stu instituted when he first created the site. The information for many of the coins is there and just needs reformatting in html. In some cases just editing and saving the post does it. On top of everything else Stu has permission to use the coin descriptions from some of the big company databases. I don't think we want to start that process over.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived