CoinPeople.com

Is it just me or..

neweden

Now is it just me, it seems there is nothing of great interest on the Bay, it seems to be the same old same old.

Up until the begining of Dec I was averaging about 20 coin purchases a week, now I am lucky if I can purchase one every now and then.

Its not like I need just the keys, even the commons are in bad shape.

Its starting to drive me to distraction. :angry::sorry:

It depends what area of numismatics you're looking at. If you're in my area of English hammered, then it's just you. I've found some wonderful pieces over the last few months and was the underbidder on a spectacular coin today!

I think it's an inevitable part of the hobby as your collection and knowledge grow. Once you get to a certain point, the coins found on ebay mostly consist of common stuff you already have, or pieces that you don't want for your collection due to the low grade, problems, etc. At my peak, I was buying low grade large cents and silver 5 cents by the lot, probably 20-25 coins a week. Since then, I now have all the dates in adequate condition, and have become more strict by simply refusing to buy any cleaned or problem coins.

For me personally, there's also the issue that I simply have basically all the Canadian coins I want for my collection. I could quite easily upgrade the MANY low grade coins in my large/small cent and silver/nickel 5 cent piece date set, but I feel that my money is much better spent on Ancients and coins from other countries for me to get the most enjoyment out of the hobby.

There are still coins that pop up once in a while that make the search worthwhile. I've also had the "pleasure" of being the under bidder on an amazing coin or two recently :( There's a reason why quality coins attract a lot of attention and bids, as they don't come along all that often, especially on Ebay.

I have the same impression -- things are drying up there, at least it has become very hard to find any decent older material, especially Russian imperial stuff.

Either they are selling fakes or replicas, or modern bullion coins. Amazing to search for world-wide offerings of U.S. material to see how many state quarters, President dollars and ASE silver rounds there are for sale. :shock:

Just IMHO, but this is probably due to certain measures taken by eBay during the past few years which put sellers at a distinct disadvantage compared to the buyers, i.e. no negs for buyers allowed, higher listing fees, etc. There are nevertheless some good sellers out there who can still operate under these conditions, but it has scared away the casual seller -- usually a collector trying to move some coins to make room for new purchases in their collection.

Never could see or find anything in coins on ebay. Actually seldom on any web site worth my time and/or money. That is the really great thing about coin shows. Once you go to a coin show, see coins in person, see real prices, no insurances, no postage, no handling, no paypal fees, no lost in the mail, it really becomes difficult to even look at ebay. I've tried coparing coins on ebay versus coin shows and so far never, ever have even come close. And getting to know dealers also is a benefit since you can tell them what your looking for, what price range, what grade and they look for you. And if you deal with the same dealers, they get to know your a steady customer and occationally just give you something free. For example I get all my Albums free from several dealers at coin shows.

Of course so many are in areas of no or few coin shows and I really feel sorry for what I've heard and seen what people pay. Glad I live in an area of from 2 to 4 coin shows a month around here.

• 1 month later...

Feebay at one time was fun to sell and buy--but they charge the sellers too much now and put the sellers at a disadvantage by

limiting the ability to leave anything other than a positive feed back on a less than forthright buyer. And with all of the fake stuff around it really turned into a crap shoot.

I moved to USACoinbook for my selling and buying--it's still a buyer beware world but the site is much simpler and laid back.

I always ease into a relationship with any new dealer--once I find a good dealer I add them to my reputable dealer list and buy accordingly.

I've only occasionally bought coins on eBay -- and those, never a high-dollar one. I've had good luck (or at least good sellers) on each one -- the first was uncirculated 2009P&D nickels for something like $5 after S&H... and the seller threw in unc 2009P&D dimes for no extra charge. Then I got the General Sikorski 50 zloty, and the 1969 25th anniversary of the PRL, and lastly a complete (datewise, not varietywise) run of Edward VII pence.

My only rules are: 1) If anything, no matter how small, about the offer makes me uncomfortable, leave it alone; and 2) Keep to purchases that will, if they go bad, mean a loss of no more than $10 at any one time.

And anyway, I find it more fun to actually go to the LCS and (figuratively) paw through the coins for myself. And I've never seen a picture that can accurately capture lustre, the subtle way that it changes as the light hits the coin differently.

I used to sell books on half.com. But, when eBay bought them, they made it hard to keep up a store on half.com. I think they wanted everybody to sell on eBay; I suspect because of faster turnover and more cash flow for eBay, even if less margin for sellers. Now, I am interested in selling (or trading) some of my extra coins, and I am looking for a good website to do that besides eBay. I will try out USAcoinbook as suggested above. And, once I have been a member here long enough, I will try to sell a few coins here.

Archived