CoinPeople.com

BRITANNIA MONETA = British Mint. 1924/5

constanius

DSCN2859.jpgDSCN2858.jpg

Silver BHM#4192

Obv. Britannia seated right striking a coin. BRITANNIA MONETA(British Mint).

Rev. View of the mint London. .THE. .ROYAL. .MINT. .LONDON.

AR CC; AE CC. 36mm. Designed by John Langford Jones. Both the silver & bronze were struck with a matt finish.

Though the medals themselves give no clue as to why or when they were struck, they were struck at the Royal Mint stand at the British Empire Exhibition in 1924 & 1925. 2,402 were struck in 1924 & a further 122 in 1925, these numbers are for both the bronze & silver combined. The bronze sold for 1s/6d and the 1 troy ounce of .925 silver for 3s/6d.

The obverse image has since been used for various Mint trial dies, which sometimes leads even dealers to mislist these 1924/25 exhibition medals as trial pieces, especially as the medals themselves give no indication of their origins.HERE IS AN EXAMPLE OF THAT

That's a nice medal. The trial piece at the auction was beautiful as well. I'm quite surprised at the estimated price and even more so at the final price.

That is a fantastic piece and something I'd love to own. Were many such medals struck at the Exhibition by other companies, do you know?

That is a fantastic piece and something I'd love to own. Were many such medals struck at the Exhibition by other companies, do you know?

Thanks Clive.

The Mint struck other official mint medals for sale & presentation at the exhibition but they also struck at least 2 for other companies, EDIT: whether any companies actually struck their own medals there is something I am not aware of Noble struck their medal there.

IMG_2959.jpgIMG_2961.jpg

By Percy Metcalfe, this one is for EDIT: this was struck by Noble Industries at the exhibition(BHM): Noble Industries, first struck dated 1924 is BHM#4195 CC.

This, dated 1925 is BHM#4204 C. AE 37mm. Struck at the Exhibition, the planchets had been chemically treated prior to striking to give a colourising effect. This example looks far better in the hand as you can tilt it and the full beauty becomes clear(difficult to show in a pic), sadly most of these that you see for sale have lost their original lustre, this one retains it.

The Mond Nickel Company Ltd, unlisted in BHM undated, struck from pure nickel for the British Empire Exhibition 1924-1925 45mm by PM (Percy Metcalfe 1895-1970) Rare. Obv: helmeted head of warrior (Britannia) right, holding trident, below, part of a globe featuring a deer(springbok?), beaver, kangaroo and tiger,(for South Africa, Canada, Australia & India) Rev: THE/ MOND / NICKEL / COMPANY / LTD / NICKEL 99.9% plain edge.

969525.jpg

Not the best picture (a candidate for reimaging), but one from my collection. I know nothing of its actual history:

906349.jpg

Nice piece Bill. :bthumbsup:

So they must strike them when testing a new press, a composition, die alignment, or after adjusting a press for whatever reason.

• 1 year later...

Art1.2

Would appreciate if you could let me know the final price of this Medal.

The original medal in this thread sold at auction for $50. The estimate was $80.00.

• 2 weeks later...

I too own a couple. One being the top one pictured the reverse of which can be seen here http://www.coinsgb.com/Royal_Mint_At_Work_1905.html along with colour postcards of the Royal mint at work during 1905.

I'll try and upload a picture of the other coin/medal here soon.